Hello - Could Abilify make you hallucinate

So, I checked the articles in wikipedia, it says LSD, is an agonist of serotonin 5-HT2a, and a partial agonist, of dopamine D2-receptors, which is why it is thought to cause hallucinations . .

Under Abilify it says, that it’s a partial agonist of serotonin, and a partial agonist of D2-receptors, thought to cause hallucinations, psychosis . .

The article in wiki about Abilify is conflicting, one article says Abilify is a partial agonist of serotonin 5-HT2a, another says it’s an antagonist . . I’ve checked the two articles, that are cited, one is from 2003, and is made by researchers without any conflicts of interest, and it clearly says, abilify is a PARTIAL AGONIST of serotonin 5-HT2a :

" Functionally, aripiprazole is an inverse agonist at 5-HT(2B) receptors and displays partial agonist actions at 5-HT(2A), 5-HT(2C), D(3), and D(4) receptors. "

But, another articles says it’s an antagonist of 5-HT2a :

" Aripiprazole has a unique mechanism of action as a dopamine D2 partial agonist, serotonin 5-HT(1A) partial agonist and serotonin 5-HT(2A) antagonist. "

So, I’m wondering which it is, which article is incorrect, it could very well make you hallucinate, if it is a PARTIAL AGONIST ( activator ) of 5-HT2a, and also D2-dopamine receptor PARTIAL AGONIST ( activator ), it basically works like LSD, in the brain . .

" Most serotonergic psychedelics are not significantly dopaminergic, and LSD is therefore atypical in this regard. The agonism of the D2 receptor by LSD may contribute to its psychoactive effects in humans.[53][54] "

They think LSD causes hallucinations by stimulating BOTH 5-HT2a ( serotonin 2a ) and dopamine D2 receptors, it’s an agonist, of those receptors . . How can I find out if Abilify is a partial agonist of 5-HT2a, or an antagonist . .

I hallucinated all night, on Abilify, and I met a danish girl, who also hallucinated on Abilify, and so far four other people that have . . Is Abilify a hallucinogen, in some people . . . .

Wouldnt surprise me if it does

It worsens positive symptoms in some people.

1 Like

Well, I’ve met a girl in the hospital, she also hallucinated on it, asked on reddit anti-psychiatry, four people had hallucinated on it . . . I was hoping someone here knew more about it, had tried it, I need help recovering from a hallucination, a bad one . .

Some drugs react badly in some brains. When I was on Depakote, it made me hallucinate much worse than before. That’s why people are working to find better ways to match people and medications than just “Try this and if it makes you suicidal, stop.” There’s the Genesight DNA test, which isn’t perfect but is better than a random guess. I believe scientists are also working on using fMRIs to determine what mental disorder someone has and what medications would be effective.

1 Like

Yes, I hallucinated on Abilify, I also became very paranoid on it.

1 Like

There are two stages, of hallucinations . .

1. One sees slightly altered perception, for instance as if the walls are wavy, or moving, but it can be subtle, for some people the effect is that, of the walls ’ waving ', like water waves, or so . .

2. In second part, one sees actual things, or even people, that are not there . .

So, there’s a sliding scale, where one begins with lower things, for me and those I spoke to, it seems Abilify skips the first stage . .

Also read under Abilify Maintena ( LAI, injection - preparation ) that THAT can cause hallucinations, so if getting Abilify in injection can cause this ( 1 %, or less get it ), maybe the pills with Abilify, can do the same . . . :frowning: However, I wanted to hear what other people had experienced, so far I’ve gotten six people to say they hallucinated, a couple went to the hospital, because of it . . . :frowning:

Thank you, I hallucinated all night, from when I got the pills, at 18 in evening, until I fell asleep . .

It sounds like it works closely maybe to how LSD works, in that 1. LSD trips last for many hours, often 10 - 12 hours ( mine lasted at least 6 - 8 hours ), 2. One tends to see things one can relate to, or is afraid of, in the visions . . .

I’ve met 6 people so far, that have hallucinated on Abilify . .

I took Abilify for schizophrenia back in 2009 or 10 and didn’t hallucinate. I took it in 2019 and started hallucinating more often; I stopped taking it, but I still hallucinate more than when I started taking it again.

Yikes. I’m meeting with my psychiatrist the day after tomorrow and I am planning to ask him to either take me off anti-psychotics completely or switch me off Risperidone to Abilify. Yikes!

It’s okay, IF you start hallucinating, just tell your doctor . . For most people it is either that walls, or objects start looking different, or seeing things that aren’t there . . On dosage 10 - 20 mg, it shouldn’t happen . . You can also get hypersexuality, excessive gambling, eating, again rare, but be aware, it could happen . . IF you hallucinate, SEE things that aren’t there, TELL your doctor immediately, he’ll stop it, give you something better . . The hallucinations CAN last 8 - 10 hours . . <3

I took abilify with clopixol in 2002 and it made me hear voices.
Im now on 400 mg clopixol depo for 24 years
120 mg geodon 17 years
400 mg qutiapine for 8 years

A pharmacist will know the answer to this. Call a pharmacist