Abilify (Aripriprazole) is a Dopamine Partil Agonist

Abilify is a partial dopamine agonist on D2, D3, and D4 receptors.
Abilify is an antagonist on dopamine receptors D1 and D5 but with low affinity.
Abilify is a 5HT1A (serotonin) receptor partial agonist (68% intrinsic activity) with a Ki = 1.7 - 5.6

The positive symptoms of schizophrenia are due to an overactive dopaminergic activity in the mesolimbic pathway. The negative and cognitive symptoms of schizophrenia are due to an underactive mesocortical pathway. Abilify is thought to work by lowering dopaminergic activity in the mesolimbic pathway and increase dopaminergic activity in the mesocortical pathway.

Abilify is an atypical antipsychotic of the 3rd generation, together with Brexiprazole and Cariprazine which are dopamine partial agonists. Abilify causes no elevation in prolactin unlike dopamine antagonist antipsychotics (especially Risperidone).

I have been on Abilify since March of 2018. I take it to treat schizoaffective disorder and prevent manic episodes, as well as for depression. I also take Welbutrin (Bupropion) for anhedonia and depression. I am on 400 mg of Abilify every 3 weeks, and I have noticed Abilify completely blocks the euphoric effects of Cannabis (Marijuanna, THC). I wonder how long after I quit taking Abilify will I regain my ability to experience pleasure from THC again (?)

Are you quitting abilify for cannabis?

I’ve done that before man, and its a bad plan.

I’m on abilify and able to get a euphoric high,

Perhaps you need to find a different strain or dose.

Whatever the case,

Its not worth getting off your AP.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.