Have any of you ever feel caled to do voluntary work

tell us about it…

Yes. I am planning to this year. Get on some sort of work program. There are work programs here for people with disabilities. Voluntary and paid part time. I’ve just got a new support worker who will be looking into this with me. But I’m unsure what to do yet.

I wouldn’t mind delivering some sort of mail if I can do that.

2 Likes

Have you thought of dog walking
I did dog walking for a charity
I loved it and walked some lovely dogs and had tea with their owners
But the organisation were bastards and they dropped me and I didn’t know why they told me to stop walking dogs “for now” I wondered why
A couple years later I sent new application form to walk dogs again and they rang and said they couldn’t take me on because I had "issues "
They said that I let the dog off the lead to find their own way home
Well I may have let the dog of their lead when we were very near the front door
That really made me mad but I said nothing
:triumph:

2 Likes

Yes. There’s this old lady who approached my car at the shop one winter morning and asked if I was going in her direction.

I was so I gave her a lift home. I see her a lot now waiting for the bus and always pull over or turn back to give her a lift.

She calls me her angel. And says god sends me to her.

But it makes me want to visit old folks in a home with little family.

I sent an enquiry off to the organisation that coordinates it but never heard back.

So for now I’ll stick to giving janette rides home.

Problem is, she’s really rough on my car door and she always has stinky fish.

2 Likes

I wanted to work in an orphanage in China as a missionary

2 Likes

I did a little bit of token volunteering in an animal shelter once a week for about a few hours at a time. It was nice, but sometimes stressful. Of course having people around was also somewhat a stresser. And also one time there was a mishap with a kitten… Nothing bad came of it, the kitten was okay in the end, but there were difficult moments.

1 Like

Yes! I started volunteering for the Humane Society in San Antonio when I was 15. I walked dogs at the shelter. When I got married and bought a house, I started fostering and transporting dogs and sitting at rescues’ information booths at events. I had a blast! I then got a therapy dog and started doing visits at a local nursing home. When I moved into a townhouse, I fostered kittens for a while, but I am at a place where I am no longer allowed to have cats. I don’t have the energy to foster dogs anymore, and I don’t have a therapy dog now- she passed away. I did put in an application to volunteer at a local assisted living home near me. I am just waiting to get started!

1 Like

Animals are very important.

2 Likes

I have and do a lot of volunteering, as I find between that and studying it enriches my life!

1 Like

@JH85 What are you studying, if I may ask?

I’m reading Bsc(hons) Computing & IT with the open university.

1 Like

My husband is currently working on his MS in IT. I won’t even pretend to understand it.

1 Like

I am kind of interested in volunteering.
Maybe I’ll ask my Case Manager to help me find a position somewhere close to my house.

But taking care of my disabled mom is really a full time effort.

1 Like

I feel called to do volunteer work. I have worked for this Church organization for ten years now. I visit the sick and the elderly. I call up auxillary members of our organization and ask them if they want to remain involved. I help lead groups. I run my own personal website. I socialize on social media websites. I attend organization business meetings every week. I love my volunteer job.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.