Has your mental illness gotten worse over time?

Mine got progressively worse over time. It was like as each year passed at the beginning of the year the ■■■■ hit the fan and got worse. Then I’d think ■■■■ it can’t get any more ■■■■■■ up and it does.

This year so far has been a disaster. After being homeless now for a month I’m just wondering whats next? Ah schizophrenia, go to hell!

3 Likes

Are you Homeless now @EmilyTheStrange?
Oh man, I’m sorry

1 Like

Mine started out severely bad but I managed to hold down a job through it. Since I have been on SSDI I have maxed out my antipsychotics and I feel better. Maybe it’s less stress from not working. I had stressful well paying jobs.

Enrolling in school and getting my aircraft mechanics licenses has given me a future again. The Marine Corps and the VA pretty much told me I would never be able to do anything but I am passing in school. Took a test on landing gear today and made an 89, not quite an A but I will take it.

I hope you get to feeling better. Haldol also worked well for me in the hospital. Once I finish school I may try it. Too scared to adjust meds while I am stable and passing in school.

1 Like

It started out like depression in my teen years. In high school I was having problems. College was worse. I got on meds in 2013 and have stayed stable thus far. Three weeks ago I began waking up earlier and taking my meds at 7 instead of 9. So now I get depressed from 5pm to 9pm if I’m not distracted by anything. I’ve cried every day this week just about. I understand that it is due to my meds running out of steam at the end of the day. I feel like crap now. I found out today that another friend died. :frowning:

2 Likes

About 2001 I went through the psychosis from hell. Didn’t want that to happen ever again so commit to therapy and pretty much been stable until my dad died two friends committed suicide and my aunt was dying of skin cancer all within a three years period about 6 years ago among a ton of other stuff. Wish I could say I handled all that well but far from the truth and symptoms did flair up again.

Now apart from anxiety I’m stable. I think the anxiety is a case of still questioning my sanity when mostly recovered.

1 Like

metime I’m so sorry for you!
Never give up!
Even if the situation seems bad, it is often better to see the full half of the glass.
Also you mentioned previously that you have sinus problems you can try a nasal dilator.
Cheer up!
I hope for you that things will improve!

2 Likes

Thank you! I have been in a rut lately. My therapist talked to me about it. I’m sure I will feel better tomorrow.

1 Like

It’s getting better. Right after my collapse, I felt like ■■■■. Now I can at least talk to people e socialize a little bit.

1 Like

Darling…I am so sorry. I have been there. I was a successful attorney with her own practice. Walking 3 miles a day. Fit. Happy. And then I got smashed. Gained 100lbs. Cut off all friendships. Lived on the couch. Binged on fast food. Developed high blood pressure. Severe depression. Raging voices. I have just reclaimed my health and fitness. I walk 5k 5 days a week. I eat vegan. I have lost 54lbs. Losing more each week. However, I too am on disability. Poor as a church mouse. Sucks but I desire to live most days. I was last hospitalized for suicidal in January. My sza symptoms have improved a bit. Depression is improved with weight loss and exercise. I owe it to my spiritual guidance. I could not do this on my own. NEVER GIVE UP. KEEP SHARING YOUR STORY. IT INSPIRES OTHERS NO MATTER HOW BAD YOU THINK IT SOUNDS> GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!

6 Likes

Mine continues to improve ,I’m fine were I’m at i have accepted my life style and the fact I’ll always be on meds.

1 Like

Yeah I am. idk what to do right now. I’m just trying to stay positive.

1 Like

Emily I’m sorry!
How is it that you are homeless?
Have you tried to approach the authorities?
Perhaps you deserve disability benefits?
I hope you get better!
Never give up!

1 Like

Thank you. I got kicked out of my dads house after we got into a fight that became physical…it was bad. It’s been a month now so trying to figure things out.

1 Like

I am sorry @metime about your friends passing.
I do hope that you bounce back soon!

@EmilyTheStrange please try to find help asap.
Yes go to the Authorities if you have to.
No one deserves to be living on the streets.

2 Likes

I have only been MI a year and a half. I think I am stable at the moment. That doesn’t mean ‘well’ it just means ‘the same’. I haven’t been hospitalized in a year, so no psychosis but I am still highly delusional and it impacts my life. I’m the same over the last year.

1 Like

I feel like I’m steadily getting worse, like time is running out.

I was diagnosed MDD w psychotic symptoms in May 2015. At that point i was psychotic and a disaster.

I’m not actively psychotic now, but I’ve had a few episodes, two suicide attempts, and a lot of cognitive decay since then. I’m not really functional but I’m afraid to try for disability because i don’t feel like i deserve it.

1 Like

I’d like to add for what it’s worth, I have an easier time dealing with symptoms now than before. That’s something that’s gotten better for me over time.

1 Like

I was on 35 mg abilify for 3 years. Those are the worst time in my life. I can’t talk to my family because I was slow and I forgot what they say in 2 minutes. I get 80 extra pounds in a few months and my relatives (i.e. my sister and her husband) began to totally ignore me. I still feel don’t understand. Why yell at me when I want to talk to you? I was lying in my bed 20 hours a day. Everyday there’s only a question or two in my head… what is schizophrenia… how to suicide… After sz, it’s just uneasy with everything. I remember sitting in the park is so uncomfortable. I think it’s the med. Now that they agree to lower my med to a low dose, I feel less distressed. It’s a bit more tolerable to live this life. I don’t have positive symptoms for now. But my cognitive symptoms are heavy. I guess I’ve gone from a 10 to a 9 on level of severity. So it’s getting a little bit better. I’m currently looking for job. I can’t imagine anyone would like to hire me. But I really need a job and an income.

1 Like

I am 41 now and I think that things have plateaued for me. Things are not getting worse and I have learned to deal with the way things are. I work with my pdoc and take my meds and I have peace in life.

2 Likes

I am 35. For 15 years my illness burnt fast and hard. Feel kinda burnt out now. Maybe it is the meds.

1 Like