Has everyone covered all bases in the supplement world?

I"m also going to try Pregnenolone within a week.

When I first joined I watched a video on why I shouldn’t rank anything. 1. I’m not sure that this is a ranking 2. People didn’t spend years working on these products, they are just natural substances 3. I’m really curious what others think are A supplements. Thanks.

I already take vitamin D, calcium and Omega 3 for health reasons. Would like to try pregnenolone and NAC when I can.

1 Like

I take:

Omega 3 fish oil- for the mood and the heart
Sulfur capsules- prevents cancer and is good for the hair and nails
Cognitex Basics nootropic- good for the brain and for cognition
Multivitamin without iron- good for overall nutrition when your diet is poor
Zinc tablet- good for hair and nails
One tablespoon of white sesame seeds- prevents cancer and is good for the hair and nails, has magnesium and calcium

1 Like

I don’t think you can “grade” these things. Schizophrenia seems to be a game of “Whack a Mole” and this is probably why nobody has been able to “figure it out” for, well, how many years of trying.

1. There seem to be at least a few underlying causes that may precipitate the initial onset. Correcting that cause depends on what “that” exactly was/is for you.

2. The body is full of self-regulating, self-training, mechanisms. Cardiac A-Fib is a blinding example.

2a. Correcting any underlying cause may not, then, correct the condition, once precipitated.

2b. Time since onset probably matters, greatly. The longer the body self-regulates the more resistant it seems to be to correction. Further, it appears the condition may precipitate brain changes/damage over time.

1. It would seem unlikely that the entire brain would, one fine day, simply mis-function. There is probably an “epicentre”, and where that location is/was may matter.

The problem seems that if you put 100 schizophrenics in a room, no two are medically alike enough to do a proper study.

In our case, Sarcosine/NAC seems a miracle. But, that’s for a late onset, slow onset, genetically mentally retarded individual, with some congenital brain damage, and when supplementation was started relatively quickly. (within a year of “first symptom” in hind sight, and a 2-3 months of the first full-on psychotic event).

Now, consider someone who’s suffered for 20-30 years. Something like a gram, or two, of Sarcosine may not be enough to overcome any physical damage, or lead in a re-balancing of the brain’s system of neurotransmitters. Maybe it might work in weeks, months, years, or may not ever be able to overcome the current state of affairs.

So you’re left looking for a key to your own particular lock.

You can test for some of the underlying causes using the various OTC blood testing services, such as Life Extension. Hopefully, you, or your doctor can navigate the narrowing process. Then, you have to supplement to correct your own particular problem. But, that doesn’t mean you’ll likely find some totally curative solution.

Or, you’ll find most of these supplements are quite inexpensive. Compared to a battery of blood tests, and doctors fees, you may find buying a palate of likely options is cheaper, and more sustainable. Then add/subtract based on observed results (preferably by a trusted third party, if you’re able to establish such a trust.)

Some, like Omega-3’s are probably “just a good idea” for almost everybody. They may, or may not, help with your schizophrenia, but could postpone your first heart attack, or something.

I think, perhaps, the longer since your first onset, or perhaps, with a higher frequency of events, the less you should expect, or the longer you may have to wait before you can determine there is no effect. Only God knows how you should factor this into everything else.

1 Like

I guess I don’t know if I should be offended or not.

I take plant sterols to lower cholesterol which can happen from aps. I also take beetroot extract to lower blood pressure also elevated by aps. Handy supplements that have proved clinically to work.

1 Like

Why offended? I’m truly sorry if I have offended you.

I speak of my significant other of over 30 years. He suffered initial onset at 50yo, his first psychotic event was both massive in its intensity, and devastating for us both.

As I described him, is exactly as he is. There should be no offence, or shame, in that. I love the man for the world.

1 Like

I’m hoping I can find someone that does the same.

D-Alanine is the same thing as L-Alanine which I take and it helps.

1 Like

Does this look good @Xade?

https://www.iherb.com/pr/Source-Naturals-L-Alanine-3-53-oz-100-g/1009

Ya, I was just going to link that one. You can also find it on that BulkSupplements site i told you about.

1 Like

Yeah I was looking at bulk supplements. The only real deal I found was on Ashwagandha. Everything else I found seemed average price.

Ya, I just basically compare it to what I would get in pill form products which makes it a big discount. Other sites might have better bulk prices, it’s just the one i use.

1 Like

I’ve read your reply 5 times @wkirkpa. So basically you are out of luck if you’ve had Schizophrenia for 20 years? What type of blood tests should I ask for?

Holy crap, 500grams of L-Alanine is $16 on bulk supplements. I guess there’s 2 deals I’ve found.

1 Like

I’ve read your reply 5 times @wkirkpa. So basically you are out of luck if you’ve had Schizophrenia for 20 years? What type of blood tests should I ask for?

That’s the thing, only you know - maybe with the help of your doctor. I think I’ve run across maybe 5-6 things that might be involved in the process. Each distinct, each requiring a different solution. One pair, over vs. under methylation (B12, and friends) seemingly can be made worse if you supplement for the wrong one.

To start, as I did, Google something like “Schizophrenia causes” and see what’s out there that might kind of fit your case. Be aware of all the nutra-nonsense that’s out there too. There’s lots of it, sad actually. Go from there.

In our case, I’ve spent something like 5 hours a day, for the last 4 months, Googling nothing but “Schizophrenia…” and trying to piece together some options, any options.

FYI, we can’t mention the word “Doctor” here, or have any conversation that might lead to, um, one free associating themselves into that term. All hell promptly breaks lose. So that puts me as the single lonely soul that stands between a totally unresponsive alien from hell screaming his fool head off in the streets at 2AM, and someone that just might be able to get through one more day.

You have to fight for yourself, if you can, and you have to fight for your loved one like your own life depended on it. Google, read, go to a University book store, whatever it takes. A doctor is required, and if you can’t hire one on, or the one you have is “useless”, you may have to become one yourself.

1 Like

1 Like

Maybe, maybe not. It might depend more on how severe, and how often, you experience events. It might depend on whatever the current “state” your brain’s neurotransmitter balance is in. If your’s is a physical issue, it might be hopeless, day one.

To be honest, I’m not faced with that problem. So, I really have no idea and haven’t collated any information related to that angle of things.

I’d say if you try something and see even a short lived, tiny, improvement, you surely may want to stick with it for awhile. It may take “time” before you even see that. How long? Who knows. If you see any response at all, you know that something is “bending”. But, you’d have no idea if something was moving the needle deep down inside, so to speak, but hasn’t yet risen to the level of an observable effect.

You can’t give up, you just can’t. Even if your case is absolutely hopeless, the fight alone might be your salvation.

I guess I just thought this meant that you were out of luck if have had schizophrenia for 20 years. Then you said you were referring to your significant other. Sorry I’m not the smartest.