Has anyone here successfully learned a new language?

I only speak English and some broken Spanish but I want to learn French for work. In Canada, or Ontario there is a demand for bilingual folks and the jobs pay fairly well even if its basic office job.

I’ve decided to do it old school and ordered some basic workbooks online with grammar and vocabulary exercises. Its part of a series so if I finish the series I’ll enroll into a language class with some prior knowledge of French.

What has your experience with learning new languages been like?

I also understand and speak French and Italian.
I have a difficult time with Spelling though.

2 Likes

Was thinking of learning Spanish but never got into it

1 Like

French immersion in grade school. I live in a province of Canada where French is so rare I’m probably the only functional bilingual in the town I live in. Means I have to read and watch a lot of French media to try and retain my skills.

2 Likes

I love learning new languages and wish I had more time to dedicate to it. I’m quite rusty in Spanish by now but I’ve been learning it on and off since I was 5. I used to be able to understand it when it was spoken to me but like I said I’m rusty now. I was never very good at speaking it fluently lol, but I did try talking with people in Spanish when I was in mexico. The people there would get really excited you knew Spanish. They started only talking to me in it and I think that was good immersion for me!

Then I learned some basic Japanese this year. Not enough to make me anywhere near fluent but enough to where I could probably navigate my way around Japan now.

As a kid a neighbor taught me basic Chinese but I’ve forgotten it all now. And I learned a bit of French in middle school but forgot all that too.

2 Likes

I speak English and German

1 Like

I’ll have to thank my middle school and high school French teachers for being so competent. I am also grateful to my private tutor who attempted to teach me English for about 6 years before saying that I was a lost cause… that motivated me to learn by myself, especialy in college. Right now I am more fluent in English than French, despite a 3 year stint spent in France…

With that in mind, I will welcome anyone who wants to correct me on a wrongfully used word or phrasing. I want to keep improving !!
Thanks in advance :kissing_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Ogenki desu ka, Anna-chan ??
Hajime mashite.

Well I know English. I’ve taken Korean, French, and Chinese. I didn’t pick up on any of it. I wish I had it would be nice to put of a resume. Also I wish I knew spanish. I was born and raised in my little border city. Many of my friends growing up were mexican I think. Just didn’t pick up on any of it. Although if you count Math as a language I’m fluent. Know some greek too. Just the letters though because physicists and mathematicians love to use greek letters in their equations.

2 Likes

J’ai etudie un peu de Francais avec app Doulingo. Le Francais est tellement un language de romance. O l’amour!

English translation: I have learned a little French using the app Duolingo. French is such a romantic language. Oh, Love!

2 Likes

I’m trying to learn a bit Danish in my free time. But its more like having fun with the language app.
Kan jeg se køkkenet?
/can I look into the kitchen/ lol

I’d like to re-phrase the question as…has anyone here successfully learned a new language after being diagnosed?

はい元気です!日本語はかっこいいですね。:grin:

1 Like

Andrey u have been to japan…how long…

1 Like

I’m still in the process of learning German and Welsh. :slight_smile:

Yeah i learnt french too in 2012 i took full time course after schizophrenia :blush:

5 Likes

I only speak English and I have not attempted to learn any new languages since I have been ill. During my first psychotic episode I SWEAR (I know…) I was speaking foreign languages! Somewhere in my brain I have access to all languages but these brain controlling bastards won’t let me get to it. I suppose I could go the old school route of using Rosetta Stone or something. I’d like to learn Spanish

Yes…but, communication in any language has always been easy for me.

2 Likes

Ee, kakoii desu yo !!

1 Like

I travelled to Japan in 2013, I spent 15 beautiful days there. Everything was crystal clean, organized and welcoming. Too bad most Japanese can’t understand English, but we still managed to make some acquaintances.

1 Like