Has anyone had there driver’s license taken away

In 2020 I was psychotic and a cop tested me for dui and I wasn’t legally drunk. I told him I had schizophrenia, and he kept my license. I haven’t tried to get it back.

2 Likes

I had it suspended briefly for not paying tickets soon enough like 10 years ago. It was reinstated once I paid though. I think it was tickets related to not getting registration renewed, but was so long ago, I can’t be sure.

2 Likes

Thanks @Bowens I guess If I move I may need it again. I don’t know what to do other than ask at the DMV office.

3 Likes

Years ago I had to tell a cop me and my passenger had a mental illness. I had to tell him because we got pulled over and when the cop was leaving my passenger started laughing uncontrollably. The cop said that’s fine but if I ever got pulled over and my medication was making me act strange they could charge me with a DUI.

2 Likes

Maybe I’m lucky I didn’t get a DUI then. I called my case manager and she came with another client to drop me and my car home.

I’m in Arkansas btw

1 Like

That reminds me of when my sister and I shoplifted. My granddaddy came to pick us up, and my sister started laughing uncontrollably and blurted out what we have done. We wouldn’t have been caught if she hadn’t done that. My mom was insisting we go back to the store and pay them. I refused and said it was my sister’s idea. She told me Aunt Liz said we could do that and nothing would happen. I didn’t have to go to the store, but was grounded for a month. I’m not sure what happened to my sister or Aunt Liz.

1 Like

They use the breath anylizer over here. Your either gone or your not and they now do drug tests. You don’t really have a choice so if you’ve some weed on your saliva test your gone for 6 months at least. I always found America strange because of those freedom clauses. We don’t have the same game against the state…not that I’m complaining.

3 Likes

Thanks @rogueone

1 Like

I had too many regulations to keep my driver licence. Wearing glasses and take medication as prescribed by the doctor as well as to see a psychiatrist every 6 months from the state licence office, if i am fit to drive. So, i handed my licence in as someone responsible.

2 Likes

I would add I was psychotic because my pdoc had me on only 5mg of Abilify at the time. I wasn’t doing good until he upped it to 15mg.

1 Like

Thanks @anon53623539

2 Likes

I still have my drivers license my mental illness is none of the dmv business but the police have record of me being sick because they had to chase me down while psychotic i also had the police called on me while psychotic at the hospital even though i didnt do anything wrong i had to go to court but they just sent me to the psych ward

2 Likes

Thanks @Rainstorm

1 Like

I went to court twice in 2008. One was a hearing before a judge pro se, without legal representation, to determine whether to give my mom an Order of Protection. The judge found I had committed domestic violence and gave her an Order of Protection. The next day I went to court with a Public Defender to determine if I would be involuntarily admitted to the State Hospital. I was ordered admitted to the hospital. I didn’t lose my license back then either. But in 2020 a cop followed me and pulled me over. Nobody observed me driving in 2008.

2 Likes

I feel like it was wrong of the cop to take your liscense away are we not allowed to drive even if medicated?

2 Likes

I assume he had the authority to do that in the State of Arkansas, or he wouldn’t have done it. I don’t think now that I’m medicated that cops intentionally do things they aren’t allowed to do. Rules of taking someone’s license differ depending on which state you live in

1 Like

I was psychotic in 2013. I was seeing the devil and I decided that I was going to use my car and run him over and kill him. Actually what I did was run my car into a head long collision with a big semi. Cops found me in the trunk of my car still holding the steering wheel. Week later my psychiatrist went to court told them I had unrelenting schizophrenia and my license should be taken away.

1 Like

Thanks @anon10627598. I didn’t run over or hit anything. I don’t know what I did to get pulled over. The deputies who gave me a temporary order to get out of my
Mom’s house I have that order plus the the finding of the judge and summons to court for my hospital admission. But with the Public Defender I don’t have any paperwork or know his name. I never received anything when I was pulled over in 2020. My memory isn’t that good now, so maybe my case manager has my paperwork.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.