Has anyone came off of invega sustenna?

Thanx for your reply I’ve been off for nearly 10 months pretty flat feelings and feel emotionless cant cry feel happy or get drunk which would be a big help but you sound better than you did so there is still hope thanx mate

1 Like

Can you manage to get drunk again that’s the most important thing thanx

Ya getting drunk is an important thing alrite lol I felt the same. But ya sometimes I can but then sometimes its only kind of like a half drunk feeling I don’t know yano, its better than the way it was at start, did your sex drive get better at all after it do ya mind me asking

Off beer no liquor yes

Did your sex drive come back symblicone do u mind asking. This for me is the most worrying the sexual problems it causes

Hi Liverpool my sex drive came back after about 5 months not as good as what was though get a prolactin blood test if it’s high your sex drive will be shot hope we all get Betts soon

My sex drive is mediocre after 3 months off it. Was the worst ap I took. Most aps affected my sex drive so I just kind of made peace with that. I just got violently sick at random times like puking etc… had to ride out out.

Ya I know they make ya less interested alrite. Well that’s good for ye my sex drive didn’t come back in any way, I’m devastated about that really. What can bring down the prolactin… Iv had a testosterone test and was fine. Its a shocking medication tbh if it destroys ur body like this

Hows everyone doing?

1 Like

Doing well
Sex drive is the thing that bothers me. Would u suggest anything to help with it

1 Like

I have read that low dose abilify added on (like 2mg) can normalise prolactin levels. Some people find gabapentin increases sex drive.

Really what is that like… Iv told my doctor about the sexual issues just waiting too see what they suggest

1 Like

Gabapentin is for nerve pain and is used off label for anxiety. Have only heard anecdotal evidence it is good for sex drive.

OK thanks for your response

1 Like

i’ve been on Invega Sustenna injections for 12 months and it has greatly reduced my sex drive and it’s making me foggy headed like my life is on autopilot and passing me by, it’s a weird feeling, Never had this feeling on Abilify but that stopped working and I was no the maximum does 400mg depot.

I can’t get drunk after taking this med. It’s.been four.months since.stopping and I.still can’t get drunk

I was a talented runner, but with Invega Sustenna I could not run at all on either 117mg or 78mg per month. I also could not feel sexual, as you stated.
However, on 39mg per month, the lowest dose, I can now run 20 to 50 miles per week again, but 10% slower than before. I also have sexual function normally again. Been on this lowest dose for 6 years.
My side effects went down a lot in the first few months of lowering dose, but it took years to get rid of all the side effects I had on higher dose. Like 2 years.
I think this drug is not completely out of your system for at least 2 years, but you will see less side effects within a month of lowering or stopping dose.

2 Likes

Everything I experienced on Invega Sustenna…diagnosed with delusional disorder…

On 117 and 78mg…
Bad side effects. Including but not limited to:
Sleep all day.
Gained 30 pounds, before I stopped eating almost anything that is. Eating 800 calories a day was the only way to stabilize weight.
Could not run anymore, and used to be a talented runner.
Akathesia very bad…restlessness all day, need to pace to get rid of it, but oh yeah, I need to be in bed all day too.
Lay in bed all day, but also entirely insomniac at night; the drug made me sleep very lightly, or not at all even when trying
Lost visual acuity and needed glasses within 1 month of taking it, and I was 20/20 vision before.
Metabolism slowed down to nothing. Poop once every 5 days, whereas normal for me was once a day before drug.
No social life. Not able to do anything at all, including reading, watching movies, or anything I had interest in before. Being in bed was all I wanted all day, and to be dead because of uncaring doctors.

I then switched to 39mg per month. Coming down off 117 to 78 to 39mg took about 6 weeks to see improvement in side effects, and I was still noticing side effects getting better as much as 2 years later, so it takes a long time to get out of one’s system.
On 39mg per month, I can:
Run 20 to 50 miles per week. However, I’m 10 to 15% slower than normal. And due to metabolic issues from the drug, I don’t heal as well and get weird injuries when I run high mileage. Also my hair falls out when I run. It fell out all the time when on higher doses too.
I read, watch movies, play video games like I always did.
I’m very goal-directed.
I have normal sexual function, almost like normal anyway.
I work, go to school, and have normal social life.
I go to the gym, run, cycle, very active, actually have 6 pack abs on this dose, and my old ideal physique, but I had to take extreme diet measures to get back to my old runner’s body…It’s like just about impossible to have a good body on this drug, unless you really work extra hard…

My feeling is that higher doses of this drug are very unrealistic to give to any human and would easily put an elephant lights out all day, nothing but sleeping. I feel very badly for people who had 234mg as their first dose. That seems really outrageous and irresponsible of a doctor administering anti-psych drugs for the first time patient. It’s ridiculous to expect to function at all on any dose over 39mg per month for me. I am 6’1" and 140 pounds, and have fast metabolism normally…I think this drug needs to be reformulated badly, at doses that are lower. I’d love to see how I do at a dose lower than 39mg, but there are none.

Just know that the effects wear off, but the process can be slow. While I noticed the most improvement of side effects within 2 months after changing/lowering dose, I really continue to feel better each year since lowering my dose, even 6 years after lowering it. Yes, 6 years later, still getting less side effects each month from previous high dose. I was still having markedly less side effects even 2 years after changing the dose.

5 Likes

I have bi polar too and they gave me this as well have you gotten better and how long did it take

Well I’m on the shot and have been on the shot for years now, but was given a low dose of 200 something for 3 months when I should of been on 900 something so I know alittle how it feels to come off this shot.

I was 2 month’s in and didn’t know my doctor gave me this low of a dose and had a bad breakdown. I then started to feel like I was withdrawing (like I was coming off hard drugs) from this shot. It gave me a cloudy head, Paranoia. The cloudy head the worst like I was coming off a hard drug, not to mention the Paranoia from not having the right dose.

I just know coming off this shot isn’t good at all. Your doctor should taper your dose down for sure. I’ve been on it for Years though and barely eat, but barely do any excercise so I stay the same weight. I have sexual problems too. Noticed it about 5 years into my Marriage after I’d been on it for awhile, but it just started and I really don’t need sex at all, maybe 1 or 2 a month.

Nothing really helps with the sex, but I’m so glad I get this shot or I would go bonkers every month from breakdowns.

2 Likes