Has anybody tried tapering?

Has anybody tried tapering antipsychotic and how did it go?

Is there anybody who never heard voice after withdrawal?

I doubt if a person have had a successful withdrawal would come to the forum again though :slight_smile: maybe its better to say do you know anybody who have had the experience?

Last year I was in the US and tried to taper the med but i couldn’t find a doctor who supports me and had to stop med at once it was clear I would hear voices.

But, this time I will go off gradually under my doctor’s supervision if she also confirms! Its almost a year I know my doctor and until now she has been very supportive she is also knowledgable

6 Likes

I tried tapering slightly. It gave me anxiety and I couldn’t handle it at the time so I went back again.

I know people who have come off meds. I guess it’s worth trying but the key thing is to take it slowly.

4 Likes

i tapered off haldol very slowly. i could tell i had no withdrawal symptoms like i have before with fast tapers…and with in 10 days i was feeling pretty awful and having symptoms.

1 Like

I tapered off of Geodon while starting Caplyta following my psychiatrist’s instructions. I had to go down 20mg once a week until I was down to nothing. It was no problem.

3 Likes

It’s hard to say what you can manage. It could be catastrophic, best to talk to your doctor. I myself want my zyprexa reduced to 5 mg and that is my only AP. But I’ve been on meds for more than 30 years and I’m worried about getting tardive d.

1 Like

After tapering you started another one, right? Right after discontinuation?

How slowly you went down? Tell me how you came down from 0.5 mg?

I started a new one as I started tapering.

2 Likes

I got it down to 2 mg without much problem…then i tapered 0.2mg down every 3 days. So i took a month to come of 2 mg.

1 Like

I assume the least dosage pharmacies sell is 0.5. How did you cut it into a 0.2 mg piece?

I assume the least dosage pharmacies sell is 0.5. How did you cut it into a 0.2 mg piece?

I assume the least dosage pharmacies sell is 0.5. How did you cut it into a 0.2 mg piece?!

I used a scale and a blade to cut 2mg pills

2 Likes

I tapered down from 9mg to 6 to 3 to every second day to every third day no withdrawal no symptoms and meds still work fine

2 Likes

Did you switch to another med? Or you are med-free now?

Did you switch to another med? Or you are med-free now?

Same med, I still take meds every third day

1 Like

I used to take 2 APs. Tried coming off Geodon once and couldn’t do it but I did reduce my dose in half to 40 mg twice a day. When I tried going down to 20 I got really delusional, was hallucinating and suicidal. I was taking 80 mg of Latuda and still had all of that.

But I told my pdoc I was drooling a lot and he suggested going off of Latuda and I said what the hell. Let’s try it.

I tapered down with no problem. Been off about 2 weeks I think now.

Still take 40 mg of Geodon twice a day.

3 Likes

Im currently tapering down off rexulti. My new p doc doesnt like me on 2 APs, even tho ive been on 2 for years. So im staying on resperidone and coming off the rexulti. Im having some symptoms, im going to discuss it with her tomorrow at my appt.

2 Likes

Yes. Off meds for a year. If all is peaceful and quiet, I am good. If triggered, im struggling with anxiety and worry. Thoughts start to slide. My social worker said, recently: i want your mind, it is smart. I said: great, let’s switch. I will have yours, without anxiety and delusions. Not a second of doubt.

3 Likes