Has anybody tapered antipsychotics?

Has anybody tapered antipsychotics?

I tapered “off” seroquel while at the same time tapered “on” Abilify.

So decreased one, while at the same time increasing the other.

It’s called cross tapering.

1 Like

One needs to taper down from an AP SLOWLY
I’ve done it many times with guidance from my doctor

2 Likes

Why you tried it more than once? Wasn’t it successful?

I’m in the process of tapering or titrating is another word for it.

1 Like

No I switched to different APs over the years

1 Like

If you don’t mind would you please explain little more? What is your med? and how you do tapering? How long should it take because you should do it very slowly. What is your diagnosis? And why you want to taper?
Thank you.

In the process of. At early stages and not having issues yet. I expect things to get “interesting” in about a month.

1 Like

I tapered off geodon too fast and that wasnt a good time. Couldnt sleep without seroquel for 3 weeks

2 Likes

How fast was too fast? Doing it over a couple of months.

1 Like

I tapered off Risperdal too quickly and ended up in the hospital

1 Like

I did it over a couple weeks. Too fast

1 Like

Read this research paper “A Method for Tapering Antipsychotic Treatment That May Minimize the Risk of Relapse” by Mark Abie Horowitz*,1,2, , Sameer Jauhar3, Sridhar Natesan3, Robin M. Murray3, and David Taylor3,4

yes like me but I knew voices will be back just no doctor gave me enough med and accepted responsibility in the US sorry

1 Like

Yes a doctor told me maybe it takes 2 years until I wean off, now on haloperidol 15 mg :frowning:

1 Like

2 Likes

But if you want to taper it should be under supervision of a doctor.

1 Like

And this one, this one is short
Successful tapering of antipsychotics could take 'years', say researchers - The Pharmaceutical Journal.

1 Like

My cardiologist will have kittens if I’m on Geodon for another year. He wasn’t happy about a couple of months.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.