Growing up in a religious household

Did it contribute to your delusions?

Or did it give you comfort?

I’d say it did both.

What is your experience if you grew up in a religious household?

1 Like

It contributed to mine. It was very traumatic for me.

1 Like

Yes my delusions did have a heavy involvement on relgiion… I wouldn’t say they are extremely religious but it had some influence.

1 Like

Just a heads up, this thread has the potential to go South, so be aware it may get closed. I’ll let it go for now, just be sure to keep this focused on the delusions aspect.

I don’t think I would have gotten so many religious delusions if I didn’t believe, but I do agree that being religious and going to church every week did contribute. It actually got so bad that my dad didn’t let me go to church or read certain books when I was highly delusional. I think, though, that my delusions would have just grappled onto another subject. I also have religious OCD, so they blended in.

2 Likes

I grew up in a religious household and was sent to a religious school. It didn’t contribute to my delusions in the end as I officially became an atheist at 16.

1 Like

Same.

But I never became atheist,

Just turned away from religion when I was around 27.

1 Like

im not sure how it affected me. mostly i know i was forced to be there and didnt enjoy it. but it gave me belief in higher powers i guess. i stopped going to church when i went off to college at 18, probably only been like 20 times since, and i always get annoyed at the pastor for trying to tell me what to think.

1 Like

My parents weren’t religious but they insisted that I should be raised Catholic. At Catholic school I became like so many a staunch atheist. Later in life my ocd became centred around religious imagery, I was scared for years of religious figures I did not believe in. How all this has affected my current metaphysical unusual beliefs I still don’t know.

1 Like

For me, it’s difficult to say… I did Sunday school as a child, earned sacraments and such, DEFINITELY went to an all boys catholic high school during formative years…

I don’t know the answer for me though, I guess!!!

1 Like

I lived with two strange christian men when I was delusional in the latter part of my psychosis and I was very religious in the aspect that I thought I was helping Jesus put the devil in fire lake…still a christian now…didn’t walk away from my faith.

1 Like

I didn’t grow up in a religious home, but I was targeted by Mormons early on in my psychosis and wound up a member of their crap church. When you have delusions of aliens and integalactic travel, being part of a faith that teaches you that God lives on the planet/star Kolob with his five wives is NOT HELPFUL. Definitely made me sicker.

So glad that ■■■■ is in my rear view mirror.

1 Like

Bro, why you be talking crap about my faith. And also, we don’t believe God lives on kolob.

My psychosis was based a lot around hell heaven messiahs prophets God.

But also sex and relationships and self confidence.

Idk. Perhaps if religion didn’t exist I’d still have come up with scary things.

Because it deliberately targeted me when I was vulnerable and made my illness worse.

2 Likes