Grandma's Old Recipes. Come share!

I recently got a cookbook of all my grandma’s recipes. I have always really enjoyed looking through old family recipes, so figured I’m surely not alone and was hoping y’all could share some of your old family recipes, too.

4 Likes

Next time I’m at my folks place I’ll ask about the recipes :blush:

2 Likes

My favorite thing my grandma made us wasn’t anything special. It was scrambled egg sandwiches. But I don’t think it made the cut to get in the book. Lol

This is my favorite, though. Lol Some of the quantities seem so absurd!

3 Likes

Here’s a timely recipe! Snow ice cream. Lol

2 Likes

Wow your grandma partied :smiley: she made for a big group :blush::blush:

1 Like

She was Mennonite. Lol

1 Like

Let me find the recipe I have if my great great aunt. The quantity is hilarious.

1 Like

8.5 cups flour PLUS 8 cups oats. Pretty sure she was feeding the entire village. :joy:

3 Likes

Haha that is awesome! She definitely was feeding the village

1 Like

We have a sauce in my family we just call “brown sauce”, but it’s reeeeally good if made right.

And it’s great with chicken.

I don’t have any measures, we mostly cook by “gefuhl” in my family, haha.

Melt butter in a pot, stir at least 2 tablespoons of flour into it.
Add milk little by little while stirring (to avoid lumps).
If you make chicken in the oven, pour the fluids from the nearly done chicken into the sauce. If not, add a dice of chicken broth.
Add a few good pinches of thymes, black pepper, and salt.
Add a half to a whole teaspoon of dijon mustard.
Add brown sauce colouring.
Stir until sauce thickens, then slowly add milk until the consistency is right, and colouring until it looks yummy.

It is sooooo good with chicken, especially if you either sprinkle salt and thymes on the chicken before putting it in the oven, or mix those with dijon mustard and rub it all over it.

3 Likes

What is brown sauce coloring?

I don’t think it can be found outside of Scandinavia :sweat_smile:

But it’s a brown dye, essentially a food colouring that’s sold in bigger bottles, as people use it for sauces.

It has a faint soysauce-like taste

1 Like

Cinnamon cucumber rings

My dad says he only vaguely remembers these being good enough that as the youngest kid he rarely got to eat them. I’m really curious about them.

2 Likes

There’s a whole section of various wine recipes, but the idea of my ultra religious grandparents drinking just seems so weird to me. :joy:

2 Likes

I guess that’s one of those handwritings you need to have been in the family to be able to read, like with my grandma.
I swear there’s a sentence in the bottom picture that goes “heat the impediments + popcorned picles” :sweat_smile:

All respect to your family tho, making a cookbook like that is really awesome

This is so nice of you! And so cool. I love the handwritten pages.

I’ll inherit my mom’s recipes when she passes (hopefully later rather than sooner; she’s only 74). It’s a small binder stuffed with handwritten, typed, and tear outs from magazines. Should be fun to get it. I have a binder for mine, too.

I just need to get my hands on her cheesecake recipe – her cheesecake is legendary (in our general circle of people and family).

I make cupcakes and cookies. I have a totally original chocolate chip cookie recipe, and I will make any type of cupcake you can imagine up. I once made green tea cupcakes with white chocolate lavender frosting – and they were fantastic!

I’m evil, though – with occasional exception, I don’t share baking recipes. I’m happy to bake for anyone who asks, but I won’t tell anyone how I do it.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was really struggling to read most of it. I have up halfway. :joy:

I need to write down my recipes. They’re all memories from my grandparents. I lost my old cookbook they used.

1 Like

Yeah, definitely get started with that. I tried to do that to mine several years ago and I’m still not done. :tired_face:

1 Like

This is more of a commercial recipe but my mom makes them every Xmas and they rock… although she substitutes Milk Chocolate chips on half of them for me, I prefer it over semi-sweet. Once my cold symptoms go away I’m gonna hang with my grandma and learn how to make her Russian Tea-Cakes, using a good old fashioned home recipe, I’ll keep you guys posted.

1 Like