Gradual or sudden onset?

so you think three years was the prodromal stage?

yes I would say that my whole life I was “different” over sensitive and weird to most people but the last three years before I became full blown I was increasingly paranoid.

1 Like

Sudden. It hit me hard over a period of about two to three days and then I was hospitalized. Never been the same since

1 Like

It all happened gradually sudden.

1 Like

I was angry and sick. But it wasn’t till I started the Wellbutrin I got sudden psychosis.

1 Like

Gradual. Then one summer day I wasn’t the same anymore. I was literally a different person…

I’ve had signs all my life. I remember my mother telling me, that even in 1st grade my teacher said I had problems with my motor skills. As for any kind of mental illness, it started out as depression and suicidal thoughts at age 15. At 17, when semesters were changing in grade 12, I had a full blown manic episode that lasted about 4 or 5 days. Didn’t get put into the hospital until after graduation about 5 months later. For about 2 weeks, I was having horrific thoughts about hurting others 24/7, but they took me by surprise because I didn’t want to commit them. I was diagnosed at the time as having depression with psychotic features. About 3 weeks after I got out of the ward, my parents forced me to become a full time student at the local university, although I had already been accepted around graduation. Early in the first semester, I mentioned to my pdoc at the time that I was having some problems with perceiving reality. He prescribed me fluanxol, but some time in November, I stopped taking my medication because I thought my depression was gone. In January, I was killing some time at one of the shopping centers uptown, and a feeling came over me that at the time “felt like I had been touched by the hand of God”. It lasted about a month, which of course is pretty standard, when I was taken in handcuffs to the hospital in a police van.

thats kind of the whole point of what i was saying

I think mine was gradual.
I’m sure the intense anxiety and fear of becoming ill (with pathogens) was the first sign, since it was very abnormal for me to be so afraid of these things.
It also began with whispers of my name and the occasional shadow person.
About half a year later, is when things went downhill after a period of such intense stress.

I was always weird and I became ill gradually. My first psychotic episode was sudden though.

I am not quite sure yet about the prodromal phase. i can’t tell when and how long did it take.
prodromal phase is a mystery…
many of schizotypals become eventually szphrenics. I was one of them. so was schizotypal prodromal or not?

I had a gradual onset. Started coming when I was 13 and took 5 years or so till my breakdown and diagnosis. Anxiety and depression got worse over the years and spiralled into psychosis. I find anxiety and depression come first then only the delusions and voices. But it’s different each time I relapse. So I can’t say exactly.

1 Like

Mine was sort of gradual, although drugs did play a part in it as well.

1 Like