Glycine + N-acetylcysteine possibly improve brain function in the elderly (pilot study yet)

# GlyNAC improves multiple defects in aging to boost strength and cognition in older humans

A pilot human clinical trial conducted by researchers at Baylor College of Medicine reveals that supplementation with GlyNAC—a combination of glycine and N-acetylcysteine as precursors of the natural antioxidant glutathione—could improve many age-associated defects in older humans to improve muscle strength and cognition, and promote healthy aging.

I’m posting this here because I recall that both glycine and N-acetylcysteine have been trialed in schizophrenia. Would be great if this small pilot study is later replicated in a larger study.

I would like to caution readers, because too often pilot studies were later refuted by larger studies. But it’s good that at least there’s some active reasearch.

3 Likes

I wish I could take NAC. There’s so many good studies behind it.

But NAC interacted with abilify and made abilify less effective for me. I had suicidal ideation on it.

1 Like

I’m very sorry to hear that!

I don’t have Schizophrenia, I have depression. So I tried taking Acetyl-L-carnitine, which is supposed to work as an addon in depression and anxiety. I took it as an addon to my escitalopram. I felt like it helped very mildly. Could have been a placebo effect. What was weird though is that I started to jog over much longer distances while taking it. It felt like I could run and not get tired. I googled and discovered that some joggers are taking it in the hope to increase their performance.

The wonders of homebrew biohacking.

1 Like