Gender dysphoria symptoms in schizophrenia

2 Likes

For me it’s closer to feeling i have a male side as in some form of androgyny
I believe in appearance traits and in potential to dress all Annie Lennox
My husband is autistic and has female aspects
Bit like Bowie
Funny that those 2 are our idols

interesting article. The English full text of the article is available for download.

This is something that affected me at one time but now doesn’t. I’m not sure whether that’s proof it was an autistic/delusional obsession which naturally faded or the result of psychologically protecting myself from the fact that SRS was very unlikely to be sanctioned given my mental health problems.
The interesting thing is that the first consultant I remember,who died a few years ago, later went on to head what is often referred to as the Charing cross gender identity clinic.

I think a problem arises when there is genuine gender dysphoria but at the same time delusional beliefs surrounding it. For example I remember as an inpatient looking in the mirror and being convinced my body was slowly changing shape. I also had delusions over entertaining the possibility I had female parts . These have stopped since the regular depot.

With what I know now about possible autism I think that would have added to the difficulty in SRS being a viable option. The interesting thing is people with ASD are more likely to be gender dysphoric. I think whatever sex I would be I would have struggled to function on a social level.

1 Like