Home, About, Contact Us, FAQ

Found some old (but not expired) NAC. Took 1200mg

I’ve got some on the way too. I’ll take it for 12 weeks like this study and see what happens. So far nothings happening. Not even a placebo effect. :slightly_frowning_face:

Hope it gets better for you. NAC is some good stuff.

So you are taking it for paranoia?

Negative symptoms.

It hasn’t helped with any of my negative symptoms.

According to the study after 12 weeks :

NAC-treated patients showed significantly improvement in the positive (F=5.47, P=0.02) and negative (F=0.20, df=1) PANSS subscale.

I’m not expecting anything though. Just an experiment.

Good luck…

I think this is going to be a long 12 weeks. So far I feel light headed and my mind feels a bit muggy.

I stopped taking it. I found it didn’t do that much.

Well the new batch of NAC I ordered arrived today. I might be getting a placebo effect from the NAC I’d already been taking. I feel like I want to go out. I’m not going out as it’s too much hassle. But at least I have a desire to go out.

I took NAC 600mg today for the first time. It is nicer than L theanine in my opinion. I won at countdown today, in fact I thrashed them. I am definitely feeling it. It is not as limiting at l theanine made me feel. It is pleasant. A little light headed, but not depressing at all.

This feeling is just getting worse. I think I might end the experiment. I was on NAC for just 20 days.

How much were you taking each day? What exactly were the negative feelings - can you explain a little more?

I was taking 1200mg a day just like in one of the studies. It made me feel uncomfortably foggy headed for most of the day. It just didn’t work out for me.

This article suggests there’s a particular genetic profile for who benefits, and they estimate a third of people… so unfortunately that might be what’s going on.

Maybe that’s it. But I’m wondering if it has a subtle interaction with abilify because the way I felt was like abilify withdrawal.

I just started taking it 600 mg a day :thinking: I don’t like to take it because I have to eat a lot of protein with it.

I donno.

Can it do some damage?I’m taking it for a flue.

N-acetyl cysteine is LIKELY SAFE for most adults, when used as a prescription medication. It can cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea or constipation. Rarely, it can cause rashes, fever, headache, drowsiness, low blood pressure, and liver problems.

Bleeding disorder. N-acetyl cysteine might slow blood clotting. There is concern that N-acetyl cysteine might increase the risk of bruising and bleeding in people with bleeding disorders.

Surgery. N-acetyl cysteine might slow blood clotting. This might increase the risk of bleeding during and after surgery. Stop taking N-acetyl cysteine at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.

https://www.m.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-1018/n-acetyl-cysteine

Why do you eat protein with it?

According to what I’ve read you can take it with or without food.