For those in recovery

What do you see yourself doing in the next ten years? I don’t know if I’m completely in recovery, but I function well enough to be able to consider future goals which are within reason.

I’m a student now, I want to go to graduate school to become a speech pathologist or audiologist…Haven’t made up my mind quite yet. So best case scenario, in ten years I want to be moved out to where my boyfriend lives, working to help improve people’s speech or hearing. I want to have a small house or apartment to share with my boyfriend. I hope student loans will be under control, and overall I want to be financially stable.

When it comes to my mental state, I hope that in ten years I’ve been without a hospitalization. I hope I stay on my meds and that they continue to work for me. I don’t want to reduce them because I’m afraid of what will happen in that situation. Maybe be off of the Klonopin, in reality I don’t know how much that helps me.

Where will you be in ten years?

6 Likes

die and pay taxesother than that find the place that I like and hibernate

Hopefully working, but near retirement. With my AA degree. And still living independently with a car and a little money and a few friends. Hopefully my trend will continue and my symptoms will recede even more. I haven’t been hospitalized since 1990 so I hope this trend also bodes good for me.

4 Likes

For me “recovery” is an ongoing process - its my full time job. I try to do things that will help me heal - take meds, avoid toxic people or situations, eat right - keep active, do things for myself etc…
My OCD and general anxiety and depression many times make me ruminate and dwell on my past, I really dont want to think about the future too much, because I dont know what holds for me in the future. I cannot change the past or control the future, so my thoughts are basically on the now - the present moment

5 Likes

Well if I get to the point where I’m symptom free I’d love to find a great job and continue to learn about computers. Really any life I can carve out is gonna be good enough. I’ve been to hell and back and I just want to relax. It’d be great to get out of my mothers house and back on my own. I don’t really like how pushy her influence is. She’s not really directly pushy but she expects me to take steps forward.

3 Likes

running the’ death star ', conquering more planets…you know , normal stuff…!!
take care

3 Likes

Geez, darksith, how many planets does one person need? Don’t get greedy.

2 Likes

In ten years I will be 65. I’m hoping that by then I will have written some kind of fiction work that will be good enough to stay on the shelves a while. I’ve won a few small awards with my writing, but I will have to kick things up a notch if I want to reach that goal. I do a fair amount of reading, but the internet distracts me from that. During the last few days my computer was down, and I read Shakespeare’s major tragedies. If I don’t get something written that will stay on the shelves, at least I enjoyed trying.

3 Likes

HI, good question. The past 10 years was like a maze to find myself to the person I am today. However I am symptom free, I have three options to consider pursuing. My music career. My career in personal training a degree in exercise physiology. I got the body for it maybe I could get a sponsor. Advertising. Another venture of mine that has always been a well paying occupation is caregiving for medical cannabis patients. SZ peoples minds are constantly changing. As in the neural connections, transmitters, all change and tend to get better over long periods of time of wellness. So in 10 years if you follow a positive path, potentially you could be a completely different, hard working, outgoing, strong social person. Make your goal the goal, there’s nothing you can’t do.

5 Likes

idk where i’d like to be, hopefully have a family and a nice house and job with car in an ideal world, basically be normal in the best way i can or close to it, more normal than the normal person really lol

3 Likes

I am quite stable and symptom free now. I have two goals to reach out. One is to publish 2 books. I hope I can complete the writing of 2 books in 10 years. At least to write 1 book and get it published. Another goal is doing industrial designs. I am now leaning how to use Photoshop software to design patterns for fabric. This is fun and not very hard for me. So I like to do it and sell them to the fabric businessmen.

4 Likes

I really dont know where i will be in ten years,i hope i can be married in ten years,had a stable life,relationship,finance and most importantly be happy and healthy!

3 Likes

In ten years, I expect to be 3/4 of the way to retirement from the US government.

4 Likes

In ten years I will have completed my degree, finished my art course, possibly something beyond that. I’m hoping I will have experienced a romantic relationship, will have moved out etc.

I hope my recovery will have taken a new stance; that I recognise when delusions are coming on and don’t give so much power to voices, be able to initiate cbt by myself… I hope to physically have bearable pain levels, have lost my weight.

I don’t want to sound greedy, but ten years is a long time, a lot can happen.

Take care,
Meg.

3 Likes

im surprised so many people can plan on meds. i wasnt able to plan at all on my meds not even what i would be doing in five minutes or an hour that part of the brain didnt work meds shut it off

In 10 years I’ll be 39. My sis will be 28.

I would like to think I’d be finished with my horticulture degree then, but I’d still be working for the parks department. I’m not trying to get up the ladder as much as sideways on the ladder. So I’d still work with plants.

I have a girlfriend now… I guess marriage could be in the picture…but it’s too early to tell. She and I are happy taking it slow.

One other thing I would LOVE to do would be to volunteer with an arts program or something like that and teach some art classes to the after school program at one of the many community centers in our city. I’ve always seen myself doing that and I’d like to give it a try.

I’m better at sculpture so I’d go for trying to teach that.

I’d still live by the water, I’d still fish, surf and have a small house with a large garden. I’d still be part of a very large family.

Even in 10 years I see a simple life, a large garden and me in the water.

2 Likes