How many of you with flat affect can

Laugh or smile or get angry? Is your flat emotions a ongoing thing all the time or do you get moments you express emotions like amusement or anger?

Just asking because I feel flat as lot of the time but when I’m shown something nice or amusing I can smile and laugh. Or I get angry when having tough day or an argument. But most of the time feel flat. Or maybe it’s just depression…

1 Like

It’s impossible to feel no emotions, with negative symptoms.

I rarely smile and even more rarely laugh. But I seem to have no problem getting secretly angry at something every so often.

1 Like

I can laugh sometimes. I can get angry. It’s hard to smile.

I cant show any emotions besides anxiety

I laugh hysterically when alone. I cry and shout when I am anxious

I’ve been told I have flat affect. I also used to have anhedonia but that’s much better now.

I am the same, I easily get angry but very rarely smile or get sad. I guess its better than being sad all the time from severe depression.

1 Like

I find I am less often sad than just emotionless. Most of the time I just feel nothing. But sometimes it improves and I can laugh or talk lively. But mostly feel foggy and flat.

1 Like

Some APs make me emotionless. Loxapine lets me experience emotions but I am usually pretty flat. But, yes, I have emotions

For me it has been dose dependent. The higher the dose the more flat I have been. At the dose I am now I’d say my emotions are working, which is good, but they are still kind of far from what is normal for me.

Flat effect. I have it too. I don’t mind it. Makes me seem calm or collected, but then it also makes you seem slow or stupid. You react less or late. And it seems ■■■■■■■■. That’s something I hate about it.

It affects me just like you have described.

1 Like

I had many years with no laughter .ever.
I could not laugh.
Never once laughed for years.

How sad to never ever laugh.

Not once a year.never.

Now I can laugh but I don’t laugh often or easily but I’m so grateful I can laugh.

I don’t laugh near as much as a normal person but it happens which it never used to.

I was diagnosed with flat effect and I had it but it’s better now.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.