Favorite Poem and/or Book?

I have issues reading due to the eyes having trouble staying in order on the lines. I basically jump around an entire sentence and put it together in my mind. I do use audio books to quicken the pace( you can find sooo many classics just on youtube).

However, I do still love literature(despite going into a mathematics-based major), for it is truly the representation of human experiences.

Anyways XD, my favorite poem is Mirror by Sylvia Plath

Mirror

I am silver and exact. I have no preconceptions.
Whatever I see I swallow immediately
Just as it is, unmisted by love or dislike.
I am not cruel, only truthful ‚
The eye of a little god, four-cornered.
Most of the time I meditate on the opposite wall.
It is pink, with speckles. I have looked at it so long
I think it is part of my heart. But it flickers.
Faces and darkness separate us over and over.

Now I am a lake. A woman bends over me,
Searching my reaches for what she really is.
Then she turns to those liars, the candles or the moon.
I see her back, and reflect it faithfully.
She rewards me with tears and an agitation of hands.
I am important to her. She comes and goes.
Each morning it is her face that replaces the darkness.
In me she has drowned a young girl, and in me an old woman
Rises toward her day after day, like a terrible fish.

And my favorite book is Of Mice and Men. I have a thing for classical books. I am the dweeb reading Gone With the Wind when I have time to kill.

4 Likes

I love Sylvia Plath. My favorite book is One hundred years of solitude, is on youtube audiobook too.

3 Likes

How Happy Is The Little Stone by Emily Dickinson

How happy is the little Stone
That rambles in the Road alone,
And doesn’t care about Careers
And Exigencies never fears—
Whose Coat of elemental Brown
A passing Universe put on,
And independent as the Sun
Associates or glows alone,
Fulfilling absolute Decree
In casual simplicity—

4 Likes

Plath’s poems are full of beauty. She is a true artisan with words. Have you read the Bell Jar? It is a semi-autobiography of hers that is both familiar yet some how foreign. I highly recommend it! :smile_cat: here is another cat :3

2 Likes

Thank you for that :smile: I crave Dickinson every now and then.

2 Likes

My favorite book is probably to kill a mockingbird. I love the coming of age story told through the lenses of a rather harsh time in America’s history.

4 Likes

I haven’t read it yet D:. But, I plan to this year. I am excited for it!

1 Like

My favorite poem is “The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock” by T.S. Eliot. My favorite book is “The Brothers Karamazov” by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

2 Likes

I have always had a strange connection with that book. I’m not sure if its my favorite or not, but I remember almost everthing about that book and i quote it and bring ot up out of no where all the time. My girlfreind freaks out and sais shes impressed with the endless amount of references i make from that book and that book only. I read it twice a few years back and have never been able to remeber a book that well again, no matter how much i like it.

Anyways, i like your username

I love classic literature, like mary shelly’s frankenstien. or les miserables.

2 Likes

My favorite poem is “anyone lived in a pretty how town” by e.e. cummings.

2 Likes

My favorite book is The Tale of Genji by Lady Murasaki.

1 Like

Thank you for the compliment! I’m a quarter Mexican with mixed various Celtic, descendent ethnicities.

To Kill A Mockingbird has always had a special relevance to me also. I first read it in high school. Then I reread it last year. I read somewhere about forty books a year. My top five faves have to be: TKAMB, The Outsiders, The Catcher in the Rye, 1984, and The Things They carried.

I hope you enjoy it :slight_smile: Some would argue that and Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn are the essential, great American novel.

Poets i like include Sylvia Plath, Emily Dickinson, Sharon olds, Anne sexton, George Gordon, Edmund spencer, love Edgar Allan poes work, the raven is one of my favorite poems by him, Frida kahlo, Vincent Van Gogh, Leonard baskin, Joel Peter witkin some of my favorite artists including German expressionists and surrealists, one of my favorite books is mysterious island by Jules Verne, also enjoy dean koontz books

1 Like

You all bring me so much joy with your responses :smiley: ! I am already looking up some of the poems mentioned here :relaxed: and will probably look into the novels here which I have not read. You all have good tastes in literature.

2 Likes

Yes! I love the whole “monsters are made into beasts, not born that way” argument in Frankenstein. Kinda makes me think about bitter people sometimes. I mean, they weren’t born that way so what happened?

Those are all nice books! You name reninds me of the time i (mostley aztec with other mixed native) wore my friends kilt during a 8 mile race.

Thank you! So you’re Aztec descendent also?!

Very cool you wore a kilt. :smiley: My distant family on both sides are Scotch-Irish.

Ha! Thats the only little bit of me thats white! My great grandma was Irish other than that im primarily aztec and native american.