Extremely sleepy after taking Geodon

Hi,

I feel extremely sleepy about two hours after I take Geodon at dinner time every night. Do you have similar experience?

I have checked the med’s manual, it says it is called somnolence. I want to know if there is any way to stay awake until my usual sleep time at 11pm every night instead of 8pm, because under current situation I basically don’t have nights to do my own things as those “normal” people do.

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Try taking your Geodon a little later in the night.

I take Ziprasidone and it does make me very sleepy, I take 160 mg and sleep 12 hours. The sleepiness kicks in about 1,5 hours after taking it. I take it later in the evening, that means I have to eat something to make it work better, I end up overeating for the day and gaining weight because of it.

the manufacturer says to take the total dose broken up into a breakfast and dinner dose. I take 120mg a day, 60 with breakfast and 60 with dinner. I dont get knocked out and it works really well.

I took geodon for about a week. Within the week I developed depersonalization disorder. Could be relative to the medication, could be relative of schizophrenia.

Geodon never made me sleepy and wasn’t bad for side effects as far as I can remember.

My son (10yrsold) was put on Geodon 20mg twice a day (also Prozac 10mg once a day) after they did the Gene testing and it showed it would be a better match for his body. He was diagnosed with MDD with phycotic features and GAD. I have read about making sure you eat well with it and I try to make sure he dose for breakfast and dinner and try to have plenty of protein in the morning for him if possible. The thing is it seems almost no matter what a few hours after taking it he can’t stay awake and passes out pretty hard and sleeps for at least a couple hours and then is kinda sluggish till almost time to take the night dose. Then at night he sometimes has trouble sleeping because he will wake up early and usually can’t fall back asleep. It’s almost like it has switched his sleep cycle on him. He will be returning to school after the holidays and I am hoping we can find a solution to help him stay awake and not end up passing out at school. Any tips info from anyone who has had to deal with this med would me much appreciated.

For me, I had almost narcoleptic like episodes on Goedon. I had to fall asleep. I could not fight it. Maybe he needs a different AP

Hi, @Alyson, I’d like to encourage you to join our forum for Family and Caregivers that can be found at:

While this is a peer support forum for people with schizophrenia and other closely related psychotic disorders, the Family forum is specifically for people like yourself, who have a loved one they are concerned about.

Also, please let your loved one know about this forum as they may find it helpful.

Best of luck,

Ninjastar
Volunteer Moderator

Geodon made me sleepy at first. But after taking it for a couple months I got used to it, and no longer get tired after taking it.

1 Like

The genesight is not 100% accurate, so your personal experience is more important than what the test says. But if it otherwise works, you may be able to adjust the timing and amount of the doses, talk to the doctor.

Yes for me geodon was extremely sedating. It was frustrating to lose my nights. The best you can do is take it later so it kicks in later.

1 Like