Experience with foreign consultants

It’s my stereotypical view but most of it’s experience. If my GP had listened to me when I went in with depressive complaints and not dismissed me saying I will get over it… I might have been able to delay the episode. My GP had studied in India. Even the one I saw yesterday dismissed everything I felt as normal making me question why I’m on meds. She studied in India. But then again he’s not a psychiatrist and neither was the lady GP I saw yesterday.

I think the issue is more to do with societal attitudes.

My Sri Lankan pdoc seems to get it. I like her. But she is a pdoc.

1 Like

were you having a hard time yesterday? How are you today?

1 Like

Asian people rocks…!!!

2 Likes

I don’t intend to sound like a bigot , but I’ve experienced more stigma in the Asian community. It’s harder to open up and have to be careful who I open up to.

1 Like

I’m better @tera thank you :slight_smile: just don’t feel understood sometimes it gets frustrating.

1 Like

Sounds like my gp he’s crap… My old family Dr retired last year, it’s a shame I moved out of her area.

On second thoughts it may also be they aren’t trained in mental health. Nothing to do with ethicity? :confused:

Maybe they just have a week on it?

My current Dr is trained in gynecology!! Wtf

2 Likes

I have a female friend who is an ophtalmologist (eye doctor). She told me she has only studied psychiatry for one week during med school.

2 Likes