DSLRs vs Camera Phones - Which are Better?

@shutterbug

To the photographers on this forum, which do you prefer? I hate camera phones. They are awkward to hold and the ones I’ve used have no controls for aperture and shutter speed. Not to mention their sensor is smaller meaning less sharpness.

5 Likes

It all depends on what you want to use it for.

If you want to shoot video and have more control of the lighting then a DSLR or mirrorless camera would be ideal.

Micro Four Thirds cameras are also great for filming. That’s what my Panasonic is.

3 Likes

I’m not much of a photographer, but the only camera I have is on my phone. I could borrow my moms, I guess, but I don’t. So when I take a picture, my phone camera is what I use.

3 Likes

I prefer the camera that gets me the picture I need in the place that I’m at. Sometimes it’s my phone, sometimes it’s the R5. Sometimes I carry around my venerable Canon Powershot G1-X because I still love using it. My camera phone hasn’t replaced my other cameras, it has just given me more options and more freedom.

Here’s what I’m shooting with this weekend:

Wound some 120 colour print film onto 620 spools from eBay.

Amazing time to be alive, with no shortage of options.

:grin:

4 Likes

I wish I could use film, I just don’t have the space or the money for a dark room

1 Like

I am never making prints again for as long as I live. It doesn’t take much space to develop a few rolls of print film. I even use my sous vide for temp control for the water bath. I scan the negs after and finish them in Photoshop.

Edit: We couldn’t afford film when I was younger and my cameras kept get putting up on a shelf by the adults in my life. Couldn’t afford it as a teen or a young adult. Couldn’t afford it as a young parent. I have reached a point in my life where I have the means to indulge myself shooting with film occasionally, so I do. My first childhood sucked so I am giving myself a do-over. I recommend this to others.

1 Like

What can you use to do that? Is it expensive?

1 Like

I bought old developing tanks and kit on the cheap at garage sales. Was also gifted some by older photographer friends. I buy C41 chem from The Camera Store in Calgary, Alberta. I sometimes get film there, but it’s fun to buy expired stuff on eBay, too.

Yes, it’s expensive.

1 Like

Here are shots I would not have gotten as I either didn’t have my expensive cameras with me at that moment or it was just impractical to carry them:

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

6 Likes

I used to love my old film camera Canon AE-1. My pics back then were nothing special but I enjoyed playing around with DoF and stuff.

No state park was safe from my viewfinder.

I did setup a dark room back then too. But digital came on the scene so that was that.

4 Likes

I much prefer dslr for taking photos. But they’re cumbersome. There’s no competition between them and phones when it comes to results.

Camera phones are always there though, so they’re sometimes the only camera you have.

But hobby wise dslr wins hands down.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.