Dreaded Phone Call

My family rarely calls me. Most of the times it is when someone is dying or dead. Today I got that phone call. As soon as I pick it up I knew it was bad. It was from my oldest grandniece she has never called me. My 4 year old grandniece has drowned in a pool. At her babysitter house. I didn’t know this little one she was just one of the kids running around at the family reunion last month.
I talk to one of my sisters and will call her this evening for more news. Not the sister who lost her grandbaby.
I have never been to a baby funeral I don’t know if I can do this, but I must. Even though I only see my family about once a year at the family reunion. They are my family.

From the country Ridgerunner

3 Likes

I am so sorry for this @Ridgerunner. I guess death is a part of the circle of life. I do not like attending funerals, but I guess I would go if there was a death in my family. I am sending you prayers - I am not religious, but I pray in my own way - sending out good peaceful thoughts. I hope things get better for you, knowing she is at peace in some way - my condolences to you

1 Like

deepest sympathy…i hope you go to the funeral,…i feel it is one of those things that will haunt you if you don’t…they are your family…sending you strength…hang tough

1 Like

I am very sorry for your loss. I know that your family would greatly appreciate it if you went. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

1 Like

I am so sorry for you and your family. Take specially good care of yourself while you are mourning.

2 Likes

Very sorry to hear of your loss. wow…a grandniece too…that is so hard when their just babies. What a tragic loss.
I give you many ((((((((((Hugs)))))))))) of support.

1 Like

Awww man, that is some hard news. My thoughts are with you and your family.

1 Like

Very sorry to hear about this. If you think that this is going to be really stressful and difficult for you - I can understand if you don’t go. It might be better if you don’t go if its likely to cause a relapse or other significant issues for you. Its ok to say “this is too much for me” - and miss out. I suspect that your family would understand.

4 Likes

I am sorry! I can never attend these things–only for immediate family. If you go, take care of yourself.
Prayers to you and your family.

1 Like

I would have trouble attending a child’s funeral. :cry:

1 Like

My sister the child grandmother called me. They don’t have funeral plans yet. She said she will call me when they know more. She just assume I will go. So I will go and be prepare to leave if it get to be to much.
Road trip for a funeral Not a good road trip.

really sorry Ridgerunner, i don’t know what to say except ’ i am sorry ’ .
take care

I’m very sorry Ridgerunner. Take good care of yourself. My condolences to you and your family.

I am saddened and sorry for your loss. Brave, to endure this and support everyone.

I am so sorry for your and your family’s loss.

Sorry to hear it, poor kid.

Neglect.

And if you follow SzAdmin’s advice you could still offer condolences over the phone or even in a heartfelt letter.

1 Like

The funeral is Monday at 11. So I have time to prepare myself for this. It will take about 2 and a half hours to get there. So I will be gone most of the day. I have a friend to come and let my dogs out.

Ridgerunner

I got one of those calls 6 years ago telling me my Mom had passed. I was expecting it but still, to actually get it…
It must be much harder for it to be a child though, as they have just begun to live…would be hard to attend such a funeral.
prayers 4 you…

I made it through the funeral yesterday. I didn’t go up front and look at the body. I want to remember her as one of the young ones running around at the family reunion. Not as the young body in a coffin.
I got there later than I wanted too. Took almost three hours to get there, but I made it on time. The place was packed When I got there so I was not able to sit in the back in case I wanted to leave. I felt trap but I was able to keep it under control.

Peace be with you Ridgerunner