Dr Carpenter on KAT II, KYNA, and future of schizophrenia treatment

https://progress.im/en/content/schizophrenia-near-future

“Novel mechanism-based treatments are also likely to be developed. He stated that one such therapy might be kynurenine aminotransferase II (KAT II) inhibitors. Fluctuations in brain kynurenic acid (KYNA) levels bi-directionally regulate extracellular concentrations of glutamate and other major neurotransmitters. Even minor elevations in KYNA during early brain development or later in life, impair cognitive functions. Astrocytic KAT II is a major determinant of the rapid formation of neuroactive KYNA in the mammalian brain. Acute down regulation of brain KYNA, which is now possible with several recently developed KAT II inhibitors, has been shown to improve cognitive function in preclinical research. Testing of the potential pro-cognitive effects of KAT II inhibition in humans is expected in the not-so-distant future.”

7 Likes

I know of this for some time. Great potential lies in this.
Until the actual medicine we can try certain amino acids:

leucine, isoleucine, phenylalanine, methionine, tyrosine, alanine, cysteine, glutamine, glutamate, and aspartate

3 Likes

Although this is good news its also disheartening how long they will take to get to market if successful.

2 Likes

Niacin intake is one means of suppressing the formation of kynurenic acid.

This study suggests that Niacin deficiency suppresses the formation of kynurenine 3-monooxygenase, which causes kynurenic acid to accumulate.

“Kynurenine 3-monooxygenase, which needs NADPH, was thought to be suppressed by niacin deficiency.”

And,

“The suppression of kynurenine 3-monooxygenase makes the accumulation of kynurenine, which leads the increased formation of KA.”

1 Like

We need medicine for negative symptoms…!!! Fu** ya ll …!!! Haha

@far_cry0, Glutathione is an NMDA agonist, that might be the key to conquering negative symptoms. I’m going to buy some tomorrow locally, I can’t wait a month for my shipments to come in.

1 Like

But u have to update @naturallycured …!!! I am feed up with cognitive and negative symptoms…!!

2 Likes

I hope they will test these and then make a supplement that is easily available, like sarcosine.

1 Like

I’ve got psychotic with tyrosine,watch out!

1 Like