Downward spiral about smoking cigarettes...help!

Every day I start in the morning chewing nicotine gum and by noon I’m running to the store. I honestly try to stop smoking every friggin’ day. I just can’t seem to stop with what I’m doing…no, I don’t want a vape. I stopped smoking once for 82 days at the end of last year just using nicotine gum and want that back. @77nick77 any advice? please help me. I am desperate.

2 Likes

As long as you are still alive you can still quit.

2 Likes

Reading about it for about an hour every day might convince you to, I had to do that in college when I smoked too close to the door, they made me take a tobacco class. Or focus on an activity that forces you not to smoke and do it for longer periods of time every day like going swimming, or a detailed craft project. i want to get into toy-making, better abstract pottery, and I need to start painting again and I got a printer to make photo copies!! :smiley:

1 Like

Has been some progress on meds to help with addiction with mental ill patients including giving up smoking. In the past stop smoking medication conflicted with some of our meds. So talking to your doctor may help. Reading easy way to stop smoking by Allen Carr again and again. To help reinforce you wanting to quit. Idiot’s guide to quitting smoking not bad with advice either and covers a lot of ground.

Someone said once what turned it all around for them was to get their teeth whitened. The cost and they could see what damage smoking has done over the years helped them stay off the cigs. But comes down to you just may not be ready. Talk it over with your tdoc if you see one. If not try some therapies with it. Maybe not hypnotherapy but something like tapping ie Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT).

It’s harder to quit cigs then giving up heroin so DO NOT beat yourself up over it.

1 Like

thanks to all of you. @Dreamscape I am getting ready to see the dentist next month to get my teeth finally taken care of…how perfect that scenario would be if I can give up smoking. I would love to read that book and you keep mentioning it. I guess I will go to the library and try to find it… I wish I could buy all of you a new car for helping me. I deeply appreciate it.

1 Like

A lot of efficacy research suggests that the Prochaska & DiClemente method (see http://www.aafp.org/afp/2002/0315/p1107.html) is the most effective for most – though far from all – people.

If the nicotine has one hooked, there’s no question it’s better to vape than smoke anything that draws cancer-causing tar into the lungs, because COPD is an almost certain result in time. One may vape forever, which is not “great,” but it’s waaaaaay better than risking COPD, which is plain awful.

1 Like

I stopped smoking in sixth grade! But I was never hooked. My comment is that other people stop smoking so it makes sense that yon can too.

I don’t have any specific methods or suggestions for you. Except maybe sit down with a piece of paper and NEATLY divide it into two columns and write at the top: SMOKING. And label one column “pros” and one column “cons”. And write down everything that you think is good about smoking and the benefits you get from it and everything bad about it and the trouble it is causing you. Maybe once you see everything down in black and white it will help you organize your thoughts about and see clearly the place of smoking in your life. Get honest with yourself about smoking.

There are many methods to quitting, I can’t suggest one that I know will work for sure for you. SnowyOwl1 is right though. Read up on it. I wish I could be of more help. I hate to say it (lol) but Dreamscape makes good sense again in his post.

1 Like

I would say try to avoid stress while you are quitting. Find out what things trigger smoking for you and avoid them. Try to have nicotine gum in your mouth when you can’t avoid stress or triggers. Keep your eyes on the prize - think how much healthier you will be, think how much money you will save, think of all the positive things that come from not smoking. We’re pulling for you.

1 Like

Stoptrying for a while.

1 Like

Out of sight out of mind man… I can’t quit either.

1 Like

I quit a month and a half ago with the patch. Still on the patch, just the weak one. Or medium one. Shite I don’t even remember

I’m not smoking

2 Likes

I’ll prob never quit…good luck.

1 Like

my brother-in-law did hypnotherapy for smoking…gave up straight away.
take care :alien:

I heard Chantix helps. not speaking from experience. I managed to quit for a few months at a time a few times now. currently smoking again myself.

I read in my latest book on coping with schizo that hypnotherapy can be counterproductive to treatment for schizo. Apparently the idea is treatment involves controlling your thoughts but hypnosis relinquishes control.