Does this sound like autism or my schizophrenia

My ex with autism had always told me he thinks I’m in the spectrum and my therapist believes so to these are some of the symptoms I’m wondering if it’s worth me getting assessed these are the symptoms I could think off

Sounds like autism

2 Likes

It’s worth getting assessed. Then you know for sure.

1 Like

I’ll get assessed I found a place that takes my insurance idk why it’s hard to find testing for adults

2 Likes

I’d also say get assessed, just be aware that having the label doesn’t amount to much in reality. There are practically no resources allocated for any but the most profoundly affected people with ASD. We’re talking the ones who have to wear a helmet because they stim by pounding their noggin’ into the nearest wall. Those who function well enough to not need a crisis admission to a psych ward are on their own.

2 Likes

I will get assessed I guess I wanna know cause it will explain a lot of things in my life and understand why I think the way I do but your right I probably won’t get accommodations

1 Like

Unpopular opinion but i would say maybe DONT get assessed. As an adult with a mental health diagnosis, you already qualify for all the resources and accommodations. Adding autism to the list might be a waste of money (evaluation usually isn’t cheap) and might open the door to further stigmatization. It might be better to just look into autism coping techniques and do them on your own. Since you’ll be doing them on your own even after diagnosis.

I know that for Mr. Star, he has been happier since he started learning about autistic coping skills. It helps him articulate what ne needs, and helps him not feel weird in public. An official diagnosis doesn’t make much difference unless your friends/family are the type of people that refuse to accept strange behavior without a doctor’s note.

5 Likes

^^^ Valid counterpoint. Keep in mind that as someone with ASD I prefer for things to be nicely organized and labeled, including myself. That bias leaks through in everything I do.

2 Likes

I don’t know if I have asd yet but I’m kinda the same way with labels and organizing it helps me but I’m not the most organized

Okay then, friends, family, or YOURSELF :stuck_out_tongue:

[ eyes up @Ninjastar ]

[ grumbles to himself ]

[ disappears under couch with DYMO labeler ]

:eye::unamused:

1 Like

I have many of these traits but I just choose not to get assessed because my pdoc told me only what they call “moderate to severe” cases get diagnosed. So there’s no point in it anyway. I’ve just decided to take care myself.

1 Like

so I am severely autistic since I got diagnosed? ok

No, you’re not in Korea.

Koreans have a specific concept of autism. They don’t really understand neurodivergence. I on the other hand can’t get diagnosed because I’m afraid of the stigma and also the pdoc believes that I’m neurotypical although I mask in front of her.

No matter how much I advocate in embracing my identity, neurodiversity is not really understood.

oh I see. I am sorry

It’s okay. I just think diagnosis varies by country to country.

I hope Koreans start to view autism as more of a spectrum rather than a disablity.

1 Like

Hm. Could be aspergers or something. Minor autism. I honestly have some of these symptoms too. Eye contact has always been really hard for me. Not much you can do for autism though. It might be better not to know.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.