Does religion make symptoms worse?

Continuing the discussion from Do you believe in God…?:

I recently went to a Benny Hinn miracle healing service in Barbados & it has changed my life. Only problem is that my symptoms have flared up a bit. I think my brain is over stimulated with thoughts & feelings. What are your thoughts on this?

sunnybreeze

I knew a girl who was sz and very religious. Her best friend said it didn’t help her. Religious delusions are common with sz.

Don’t do it!!! You can believe in god just don’t tap into the religion!!!

3 Likes

Religion is fine for schizophrenics as long as you don’t obsess and overdo it.

2 Likes

I am thinking of being delivered . I want to exorcise the demons from myself. I have heard of a guy in England called Andrew Goodwin who was set free from Schizophrenia when he was delivered. He is no longer ill or on meds. I am scared it makes my symptoms worse though as that could happen…What do u guys think??

sunnybreeze

I’m not very religious. I have a healthy skepticism about religious matters. That said, I have a belief in a higher power who has helped keep me clean and sober for 24 years. Frankly, I personally don’t believe that your problem is demons and I don’t believe it will help.You asked. Religion works best as a comfort, a set of positive ideals to run your life by. Exorcism is an extreme idea.

I look at religion from a intellectual viewpoint. I see nothing wrong with studying the great wise men in our history. All the religions have their truths that can help an individual. You might say I use them for their teaching and otherwise throw them away.

2 Likes

I don’t do religion but am Christian and very spiritual.
For me it helped everything…originally stopping drinking and getting high, then with relationships, then by faith moving places with almost nothing so i could start over and end up owning a house. Everything I do thats worthwhile is by faith, including overcoming obstacles… But I haven’t been to a church in 7 years. A true relationship with god does not require church or religion, just a connection in Spirit which can be anywhere.

thought i would say hi
…but…i just saw a pig flying across the sky !?!
sz is a disease of the mind/brain…not a demon possesion !!
can you bring me back a voodoo doll when you get back…lol !
take care
p.s i do care, but this is not the right way to heal yourself…i am totally for alternatives ( i don’t do meds…) but what you are talking about is like priests saying they can cure cancer…la la land.

5 Likes

yes,i lthink religion makes everything worse

2 Likes

The only way my religion (Islam) makes the symptoms worse is if I get exhausted from fasting every day in the month of Ramadaan or get irritable when prayer time comes, but then again its not got to do with my illness, but my selfish desires, I mean who wants to get up out of a warm bed in the morning to pray? But Islam has been good for me, I know it, and that’s why I remain in it. It gives me peace in my soul, knowing I am doing what I believe is right, believing in the One God who created me and to who I will return one day.

1 Like

I wouldn’t rule it out entirely as it has different sources, some medical, some spiritual, and some environmental/trauma factors.

These 2 accounts are obviously people who would get a mental health diagnoses today…whether SZ or something else…point is they are cured by faith…

Matthew 17
15 Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatick, and sore vexed: for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water.

16 And I brought him to thy disciples, and they could not cure him.

17 Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me.

18 And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour.

19 Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?

20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

This next dude would surely be committed and injected with Haldol today for those type of actions.

Mark 5
2 And when he was come out of the ship, immediately there met him out of the tombs a man with an unclean spirit,

3 Who had his dwelling among the tombs; and no man could bind him, no, not with chains:

4 Because that he had been often bound with fetters and chains, and the chains had been plucked asunder by him, and the fetters broken in pieces: neither could any man tame him.

5 And always, night and day, he was in the mountains, and in the tombs, crying, and cutting himself with stones.

6 But when he saw Jesus afar off, he ran and worshipped him,

7 And cried with a loud voice, and said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of the most high God? I adjure thee by God, that thou torment me not.

8 For he said unto him, Come out of the man, thou unclean spirit.

9 And he asked him, What is thy name? And he answered, saying, My name is Legion: for we are many.

10 And he besought him much that he would not send them away out of the country.

11 Now there was there nigh unto the mountains a great herd of swine feeding.

12 And all the devils besought him, saying, Send us into the swine, that we may enter into them.

13 And forthwith Jesus gave them leave. And the unclean spirits went out, and entered into the swine: and the herd ran violently down a steep place into the sea, (they were about two thousand;) and were choked in the sea.

I hear u but I have heard of a guy called Andrew Goodwin who got cured from his schiz when he was exorcised. He was delivered & is no longer ill or on his meds. Explain that…You can google him.
sunnybreeze

When I was 15 and suffering major panic attacks (4 years before I was diagnosed with SZ) my mother sent me to this pastor who wanted to ‘baptise me in the Holy Spirit’ My mother, a devout Pentecostal Christian, believed that this would cure my anxiety attacks. But instead this pastor guy tried to exorcise me, and I was terrified. I screamed the place down until he decided to stop for fear the police would be called! On the way home I was shaken and silent, my mother believed I was cured, but I was not. After that my anxiety grew worse until I eventually had a breakdown four years later and was diagnosed with SZ.

1 Like

there are many examples of people cured through faith in Jesus

http://www.born-again-christian.info/schizophrenia.htm

Any corridors of uncertainty make it worse.

And, insanity can be a cure for insanity, as far as the insane mind is concerned.

2 Likes

the explanation could be that he…

1. made up his diagnoses.
  2. he had acute sz which lasts only a short time, and therefore disappeared coincidently at the same time of the so-called ’ miracle '.
    3)he was mis-diagnosed which happens all the time…etc…etc…

if as you say this was true every sz, and mentalty ill person…oh yes and mrs. sith ( who had stage 4 cancer ) and all other cancer patients would have gone to a priest to get cured !?!
i follow a buddhist belief system…but i am not queing up to see the dalai lama to get healed.
take care

1 Like

i just watched the you tube clip…30 mins of my life i am not going to get back !!!
i would say he had acute sz or ocd with ptsd…and drugs did not help.
he did not get cured straight away, from the day he met the religious friend, he mentions almost a year and a half to two years untill he was free of his mental illness.
he also mentions ’ quickly ’ other things he did to cure himself…probably a shrink or clinical psychologist !
there is no quick fix…some people have acute sz for only 7 months or a number of years…
take care

Some people like myself get religious/spiritual delusions, so when I am more stable and not delusional I steer away from going to church. Religion for me personally can be a trigger, but there are plenty of mentally ill people that can follow a religion and they worship regularly. I am somewhat spiritual - I am ok with this

1 Like

I think spirituality gives my life more meaning.

2 Likes