Does having obsessions mean mania?

I pick up hobbies and drop them weeks later. Having spent sometimes over £100 on any particular hobby. Right now I’m obsessed with getting a machine for cardmaking … I can’t seem to shake the obsession right now.

I’ve tried to sell my things on Etsy before and if I didn’t make a sale in a day I ditched making the stuff. Why do I obsess and then lose interest. .

Could it be hypomania ?

Not so sure, aren’t obsessions associated with OCD?

Possibly I’m just sick and tired of it now.

1 Like

But losing interest fast is a sz negative symptom that I have. Maybe no motivation and anhedonia?

3 Likes

Thats more of impulsiveness. Could actually be related to abilify.

I get impulsive from bipolar though but i control it mostly.

3 Likes

Yea I had impulsivity on Abilify.

3 Likes

I have motivation maybe too much right up until I lose interest. I’ve been researching for hours today.

2 Likes

I have so many things i loved in arts and crafts that i can no longer do to motivation. I like the idea - cant get motivated enough to do it.

Do it - fight the lack of motivation and end up feeling meh after making something, drawing or sewing.

2 Likes

I tend to buy stuff then only using them once. Like a stationnary bike, video games, supplements, etc

1 Like

Yeah kinda the same except mine can go on for weeks to months of relentlessly working on it till I tire myself out

1 Like

I never thought of this. But you might be right.

2 Likes

I go for more months not doing anything and then out of the blue I’ve found a new hobby and then I give that my 200% and then afterwards I’ve lost interest.

2 Likes

Thats also what happened to me when I tried working. I get excited and give my 100% at a new job then lose interest and quit after a week.

2 Likes

I want to want something so bad. Nothing makes me want to buy it. I used to love computers and get the newest gen.

2 Likes

Quote from bphope:

When I have started a hobby, and then stopped doing it because I was depressed, I felt guilty for not following through. The guilt then makes it harder for me to get back to the hobby after I have recovered from the depression.

On the other end, when manic and doing a hobby, I get obsessed by it. It is all I can think about. My mind always comes back to the hobby. I do the hobby. I think about the hobby. I dream about the hobby. I neglect everything else to do the hobby. My friends and family get sick of hearing about my hobby.

1 Like

I play on pc but can’t play alone, I only play 1h with a friend almost everyday. I feel like I wasted too much money on my PC to only play a few hours a week.

2 Likes

I guess in can be a symptom of both disorders or even Abilify side effect.

2 Likes

I know what you mean. I upgraded my xbox thinking it would make me play overwatch more. I dont and its a chore. And i spent a lot for the brand new xbox last year.

Learned my lesson on not buying things anymore. But i wish i could want something.

1 Like

I bought tons of games that I only played once or twice. I only play one game regularly, Call of Duty.

1 Like

One good thing is - not buying anything -
like the only thing i buy now is food rent and utilities.

But in life theres suppose to be more.

Sorry @Milly I do hope maybe its not as bad for you and you still appreciate things.

2 Likes