Does GABA help with schizophrenia?

What are the effects of gaba supplementation if you have schizophrenia?

Does it help?

Some people notice an effect but some people notice nothing. Blood brain barrier has something to do with it.

1 Like

This lady can feel it!

Eh… I utilize GABA as one of my supplements.

The thing is that it is only absorbed via the body upon ingestion. It’s actually made in the brain first and then passed outward. It can’t cross the blood-brain-barrier (or BBB).

Regarding the body it’s a mild muscle relaxer. Regarding the brain it is a mild anti-agent in general. Quells neurotransmission.

It’s natural to the human body… The FDA dissallowed the form which does cross the BBB which I think was bonded to vitamin b5. But I could easily be mistaken on that note.

In any case it’s a very effective neural inhibitor and you can actually utilize a semi-strict regiment to induce the bodily sense that it should produce more. Which does result in higher levels of GABA in the brain… so it can work if you are diligent to lead to a more relaxed state of mind with less triggerability. It’s a secondary effect of manipulating homeostasis… but it’s about the only way to get higher doses in the brain unless you are ordering supplements from outside the US.

The last bit is that relaxed body can induce a relaxed state of mind making GABA ideal as a supplement who are looking to try more subtle things to reduce bodily anxiety…

It really does work me… The only effective sleep aid is 100mg 5-HTP 1500mg GABA and 800mg of Valerian root…

It’s effective and healthy… and more or less totally natural though the Valerian root is not very well explained or understood.

But yeah the BBB blocks it out… and apparently it takes an exquisitely versed neuroscientist to evaluate a brain scan in regards to having a honest evaluation of the state of the blood brain barrier… because it’s a microscopic system and it’s lesions are comparably small and hard to discern in face of all the other elements of interchange occurring in the brain on that level.

I suspect that a lot of individuals compromise their bbbs without knowing through the use of drugs and other intoxicating or otherwise damaging substances… I feel the direct effects of GABA for one… and beyond that I am 100% sold on the research of GABA based medicines being a remedy for psychoactive elements of personal internal experience.

There was a study that crossed these boards a few months ago that shows there is attention to this in the medical community, specifically regarding those concerned with schizophrenia.

Targeting dopamine release destroys the natural human motivation system and inadvertently reinforces addictive behavior… it leads to lethargy, depression, and self-indulgence to compensate… because a small little wicker of that sugar addiction still punches through. It’s not appropriate treatment for those who have structurally abhorrent neurology.

I can only speculate… I don’t mean to be insulting nor diminish the importance of the medications we have available nor the functionality and resilience it provides for people. I still just wish we had better meds and in the face of that I’m excited to see such alternatives exist in potential.

Benzos are apparently based on GABA… Xanax and Klonopin… they are chemicals meant to carry megadoses across the BBB. (needs verification but I’m confident that’s there primary mechanism.) As anti anxiety meds… and in seeing how much more effective anti-anxiety meds are for those suffering from psychosis… than slow onset anti-agents of dopamine… it really shows a lot of intuitive promise for becoming a future alternative… even if anti-psychotics are still utilized in part based on their capacity to quell excitability and errantness.

Cure the effect on the world first… deal with the people’s needs later… classic worldly spocian mentality… the needs of many out-weigh the needs of the few.

2 Likes

Recent study found that too little in the hippocampus is connected to unwanted thoughts and hallucinations. Targeting hippocampal gaba might help with reducing positive sx of sz.

4 Likes

I’m gonna buy some. Thanks guys

1 Like

Will you get addicted for taking such a high dose of valerian root?I am taking 3 times valerian root daily,in liquid form…the bottle doesn’t state how much valerian root it contain

Buying Gaba no use as it won’t pass blood brain barrier. There is another form which passes but its banned due to potential abuse. Also it create severe withdrawal effects.

To create similar effect I suggest supplements like l theanine, phosphatidylserine etc. These two are relaxation agents which help to improve gaba function. If need motivation take some stimulant like coffee, green tea or prescription stimulants like adderral, modafinil etc.

No valerian root is not addictive as far as I’ve heard.

1 Like

Are you still on them?

No I ran out at one point and found myself not needing to resupply.

I am having one of those bad days though, makes me wonder what I’ve been doing right this whole time because I’m frustrated as hell and can’t really pinpoint why.