Does anyone know the chances

My partner has aspergers. I have schizophrenia. Does anyone know the chances of passing these on to my child ?

I am due to talk to my psychiatrist soon. So I can always ask her.

Thanks.

1 Like

I don’t know, and explaining it seems complicated, but here is an article you might ask your doctor to explain to you:

2 Likes

I’d be interested too to know the recent findings. As in, for my niece and nephews.

I think I came across the figure of 15 percent(or was that for my siblings themselves?)

1 Like

I wouldn’t stew too much over this.

I have schizophrenia and my wife is bipolar.

Both of our children are right as rain.

2 Likes

The risk of passing on schizophrenia with only one schizophrenic parent is 13%. But autism and schizophrenia have some genes in common, so I would guess the chances are increased. But whether or not your child develops a mental illness or developmental disorder, I think you are better equipped to handle it than most. You can teach them coping skills from a young age so they struggle less than you did.

1 Like

Mild chance for the SZ, excellent chance for the Asperger’s.

2 Likes

I’m sure it’s very low. I don’t know the incidence of asperger’s, but I think both have stronger environmental components.

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.