Children at Familial High Risk for Schizophrenia or Bipolar Disorder

https://www.psychiatryadvisor.com/home/schizophrenia-advisor/children-at-familial-high-risk-for-schizophrenia-or-bipolar-disorder/

Danish investigators found that children who have a parent with schizophrenia should be monitored by clinicians and school professionals for signs of deficits

A stratified sample of 522 children 7 years of age, with 1 or 2 biologic parents diagnosed with a schizophrenia spectrum psychosis or a bipolar disorder, along with children with biologic parents not diagnosed with either of the 2 disorders, were enrolled in the cohort.

3 Likes

Early intervention leads to better outcomes and there’s a genetic component. Seems totally reasonable and hopefully leads to better diagnosing techniques.

3 Likes

This is why I won’t have kids. Don’t want to pass this along.

2 Likes

Another reason why I am not getting married and having children.

Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I had my son before knowing psychosis/sz was in both my and my ex’s family and before i developped psychosis. I am terrified of this.

He doesnt have language issues, he was an early talker with a great vocabulary. He is empathic and makes friends. But he is very introverted, which i worry a bit about. He seems selfconfident though, more than i was. He does seem to be doing well.

I do hope son never develops sz, id be devastated.

3 Likes

Like @anon73478309, I had children before I received my diagnosis and prognosis. I pray every day they don’t develop mental illness. But if they do, I want to support them, love them, and help them through. And if they don’t, I want them to learn to support and love and helps others through it.

2 Likes