Does anyone else play music as a coping mechanism for your mental health problems?

3 years ago I bought a guitar that I always wanted. I was manic when I bought it and I really had no interest in the instrument. I tried to sell it after I bought it but I couldnt find a buyer. The guitar stayed Unplayed under my bed.

A few days ago I took it out and started playing it. I bought some new books on music theory for the guitar and i feel like i have so much from for improvement with the instrument.

Normally I play cards online with my time, Which hasn’t been the healthiest Way to spend my days. I’m sza and when I win I feel too good, and when I lose I get to angry with the game.

Since I’ve been playing cards less and learning about the guitar more my symptoms have improved. This has only been for a couple of days though, and I can’t tell if I’m manic or not…

Is there anyone else that’s spends their time with music? Not listening to it, but studying it and playing it?

3 Likes

If it’s helping that’s great. It just sounds like you have an interest in it not that you’re manic.

3 Likes

I was never healthier mentally than when I was studying piano in college. I miss those days.

2 Likes

I play both an 88-key hammer graded action keyboard (Yamaha) and an Alesis Wireless Vortex Keytar. Mostly just play bass on the keytar.

:blush:

2 Likes

I own a fender guitar but hardly play it.
Probably because of negative symptoms.
Maybe I’ll force myself and pick it up again.
I’ve had more energy lately since lowering my Depakote dose.

1 Like

My older brother was really into rock music, which he played at ear splitting volumes in our den. I resented that. He was doing a lot of drugs. One time my mom sent me to our room to get my brother for supper. He was laying on the floor between two large speakers that were blasting out rock music at a shocking volume. He was completely dead asleep. I put my hand on his shoulder and shook him several times, and he would not wake up. I finally got him at least halfway conscious, and he was able to come in and eat supper. I resented my brother’s behavior, but I behaved very similarly when I was in high school.

This may sound funny but I download rock punk instrumentals and i write lyrics for them. It is really helping in building and mintaing a conscious personality complying with my religious belife.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.