Does Abilify make anyone else sleepy?

I just got switched from Zyprexa to Abilify because of weight gain. But I find that Abilify makes me incredibly tired, has this happened to anyone else?

1 Like

I have never taken it, but sedation is a side effect of all anti-psychotics, so it is to be expected.

probably sleepybug

lol lol I like puns lol

1 Like

Yeah. I slept all the time that I didn’t have to be awake (for classes, food, etc) when I was on it. Have you tried Geodon? That worked pretty well for me for a while. It suddenly stopped one day though. I can’t figure that one out. It was a great med while it lasted though.

I’ve never been on Geodon, my uncle’s on it and it works great for him though…

Abilify does make me sleepy. I take half a tab in the morning and the second half at night. Also the citalopram I take in the morning makes me a little groggy as well.

Thus, all the coffee I drink.

it has given me insomnia - but when I do get to sleep - -I sleep around 11-12 hours a day =(
you can decrease the dose little bit?

I’m already on the lowest dose that still has antipsychotic effects.

1 Like

yeah but at first

I took 5 mg pill and I used to sleep very early and long hours.
Then after a month - I functioned a lot better.

Now I am on Injectables - 400/month 10/day and I am sleepy only the first few days.

And twitchy and crampy and drooly. My nickname for it is Disabilify. Not my fave med.

:confounded:

Yeah, I’m really curious as to who this med works for. I guess it must work for someone.

It works for the hallucinations okay. I still have them, but they’re less pronounced than usual.

It works well for me. It doesn’t make me sleepy, though I do require a bit more sleep - I need at least 7-8 hours/night to function well. I used to function fine on 5-6 hours. So I suppose you could say it makes my sleep pattern more normal. The first time I got an injection of it, though, it had me knocked down for over 24 hours, but I don’t have that problem anymore when I receive an injection.

I’m definitely a little more sleepy than usual, but I just take naps to help with that and drink plenty of caffeine (read: I am a caffeine addict). I need to get my dose upped, though, so I suspect I’ll be sleepier.