Do you think the term "troll" is overused?

So I guess trolling is when you post intentionally to make people mad. However, I’ve noticed in a variety of message boards on the internet that if you disagree with someone, there’s about a 50% chance they’ll call you a troll. Truth is, you’re not trolling, you just have an opinion different than theirs.

And then I got to thinking, what if calling other people trolls is a new, fashionable tactic used by actual trolls? Cuz it sure gets people fired up.

2 Likes

We should start calling real trolls goblins lol

1 Like

calling someone a troll in an argument marginalizes their viewpoint, so i would say in that sense it’s overused. some viewpoints are obvious trolling though

3 Likes

Their are a few actual trolls on this forum.
Some are posting now, some have been suspended.
But they exist.

1 Like

I get paranoid of ppl who spam the forum with threads and who ask me tons of questions. I get scared and then call them a troll.

2 Likes

I’ve been the victim of real trolling only one or two times I can remember, and I remember thinking why would anyone do this? It’s really drama. Like, very, very drama. The type of thing I’d imagine an angry 12 year old girl doing. A grown man doing it to me is just pathetic.

South Park’s satire of the subject was hilarious though.

2 Likes

Same here. I ran into one maybe a month ago.

2 Likes

It’s probably overused elsewhere but I don’t think it’s overused here.
In addition to the definition you have already said,
a troll can also be a person who posts insincere and false things to deliberately mislead people.

1 Like

Oh, I should point out, I didn’t mean here. It’s rarely used here and when it is there’s usually some good reason for it being used. I was more talking about places like Reddit and Steam/Gamefaqs.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.