Do you think Acid causes schizophrenia

I’m surprised ketamine did that. Can you describe what happened. Also, cool name. How did you come up with it?

1 Like

Drugs are a major factor in many cases.

Well ketamine has some psychedelic properties and it basically made me have the equivalent of a manic episode (that’s the only time I had one) I flew to Vegas won some money and freaked out thinking people were tying to kill me so instead of sleeping at the Luxor where I booked a room I took an Uber to the airport and slept in the busiest airport terminal. As for the name idk just came up with it on the fly.

Hallucinogens can trigger psychosis including schizophrenia but not cause it.

I did a hit of Mescaline in college, it triggered psychosis.

They are very dangerous drugs.

2 Likes

I guess the cause is organic. Drugs just bring it out more. I know the second time i started smoking pot after a break it was a quick slide into psychosis. I had already been diagnosed with schizophrenia 4 years before but had quit smoking. A month after i started smoking again i thought clouds were alien space ships

I once read that tofranil which I was taking when I got sick was made out of acid.

I think you either born with the chance of getting schizophrenia or not but acid could probably speed up the process and cause a psychotic episode

Idk about acid but there is a substance induced sz diagnosis I think and stimulant induced psychosis. Stimulants increase dopamine, APs decrease it but maybe there is other mechanisms than dopamine idk.

1 Like

Its prognosis is much better than standard sz and usually symptoms disappear without any meds after stopping the substance like amphetamines.

I read about a guy who took MDMA once and never came down off it. He is still high all day and all night years after the event.

The danger of taking any drug is that for anyone individual it can alter the brain chemistry of that individual forever. It is the risk people take.

I posted about the depersonalisation disorder caused by this lady ingesting hashish in yoghurt. She is still out of sync of her mind and body years later. She lives outside of her own reality.

Could one individual who takes LSD never come down? It is possible. They reckon it is out of the body in 24 hours or so, but for the odd one.

There is HPPD (hallucination persisting perception disorder) Hallucinogen persisting perception disorder - Wikipedia

Which proves it can be the case.

For the majority of people though it doesn’t affect them in the long run at all.

2 Likes

I took Tofranil for years and it made me crazy and manic but it’s not made of acid

1 Like

I wonder if weed gave me schizophrenia. I smoked some weed in my early 20s, had some bad experiences and had some mild delusions. It was 8 years later that I got sz. I sometimes wonder what would happen if I never touched weed.

1 Like

It took me years to come down from the Mescaline high I experienced

I was tripping and became psychotic years afterwards

2 Likes

I don’t think weed caused my sz as I wasn’t normal since I was young before smoking weed but when I smoked weed I felt like these sz thoughts amplified and surfaced although temporarily. Maybe weed made my sz appear earlier and worse but it didn’t cause it as I think its the genes that cause it, weed just trigger the genes. I have friends who smoke tons of weed and never got sz or psychosis.

1 Like

I always got bad trips while almost all people I know (unlike 1 who’s like me) just chill out after smoking. People react very differently I think.

1 Like

Yea, I once thought my psychosis was substance-related.

…8 years later, and here we are.

3 Likes

I had a similar issue from marijuana, was stuck in a dissociative haze (and psychosis now that i know what psychosis is…) for a good year when i was 19. Then i got into drinking and that seemed to of shifted my brain chemicals enough for a bit

2 Likes

As far back as I can remember there was something different about me. I was strange, had strange beliefs, did strange things. I was 11 or 12 when I remember having a male running commentary 24/7. That is the same age I started smoking weed. I didn’t do acid till I was 15. And I must say I did a lot. I wasn’t on it though when I had my first full-blown psychotic episode at 16. That was triggered by codeine that was given to me by a doctor.

In my case, no.

I was hearing voices and thinking I was a god long before I ever belonged to an LSD cult.

Same with cannabis.