Do you think a really good therapist can cure sz?

1 Like

The best therapists break the ice and say some stuff that we want to hear, that the majority never say, but also sometimes triggers something special, that does the trick imo. I don’t want to hear “you’re crazy” from a person that seems to not be that magical him/her-self anyway. It’s an art to know, how to treat people well and wisely. Creativity is the biggest method for a cure to work well imo.

I don’t believe there’s a cure to sz. But I do know that getting Cognitive Behavioral Therapy helped me cope with my “symptoms” better than any other therapy I had experienced.
I’m 53 and have lived with symptoms of sz most of my life (all of my teen and adult life) and the CBT therapy helped with some thought patterns and hallucinations. I am aware and have to self-monitor every day so that I will appear at least halfway normal to people, etc. But as I get older some things have changed significantly on their own. I see far fewer and less dramatic hallucinations, auditory hallucinations are almost always only under stress now, but the negative symptoms are heavier now a lot of the time.
It changes, but it’s always something.

1 Like

Nooooo wayyyyyy!!! 567899865

2 Likes

Well yeah, I believe therapy helps and you don’t have to convince me that people show improvement—because I’ve made many improvements myself. But where are all these people who have been “cured”? I believe in improvement but excuse me if I’m cynical about “success stories” of people who have been “cured” .

I’m as optimistic as the next guy but every time someone says they are cured it turns out they still take medication. If they are “cured” why do they need medication? See what I mean? I guess it would help if there was a universal definition of cured. The next most popular claim of someone who says their cured is the person who announces, “Yeah, I’m cured, I haven’t had symptoms in a year.” Does a year really prove anything? And in a related claim, the people who say, “I’m cured, I haven’t had positive symptoms in a year or two.” Now that’s great, but many people achieve that (to a degree) but part of schizophrenia is negative symptoms. And depending on your definition of “cured” I would think no negative symptoms + high functioning would be criteria for claiming you are cured. Of course I want to be cured. I just have seen too many flaws in the cases of people who say they are cured.

No can’t cure it but a really good therapist could teach you how to cope with it and function despite it.

Meds eliminate symptoms. Therapy helps you cope with them and live your life despite them.

4 Likes

I can only speak for myself, and I doubt if a therapist could have “cured” my sz when I wasn’t on med’s. I think they might have removed some of the psychosis, but not all of it, though.

Therapy helps but you need to have insight of your illness and for that medication helps. In that sense therapy is the most important thing and medication just aids the therapy.

I think a good combination of both medication and psychotherapy would do some good. It won’t cure the condition but it will put you on the best road to recovery.

1 Like

yes i agree with Sezbot241, but it depends alot on individual needs. other than standard medications, i recommend these followings:

1. exercise quite regularly (my colleague life dumbbells at home, but for me i walk around place and explore while carrying a rather heavy bag to add weigh)
  2. escape the environment which is causing your depressed form, (either mind or emotionally), maybe can try spending lesser time at the environment that is causing the pain?
  3. find true friends, people whom understands and yet accepts you as who you are, while correcting you at the right times. and they are the ones that doesn’t judge you nor label you.
  4. learn to protect yourself, don’t give others chance to hurt you. you hold this power in your hands, don’t give others the power over you.
  5. find extra help if you need like going to a social worker for more advise and help or emotional support, find more allies that stand with you spiritually and emotionally.
  6. Try to find what sleep patterns suits you, different people sleep time might varies.

good luck on life, life would always be better somehow for some people.

michael a.k.a lordarous

so a further break down of things here

1. exercise to a certain point and time, you body would release a dophamine which makes you feel happy somehow. it’s one of the easiest way to regulate happiness to your body on regular basis, which helps increases better mood.
  2. escaping an environment that is causing the hurts or recurring your past experiences is a good way of putting a stop to things from being accumalated, so you are stopping further problems from “gathering”
  3. true friends would try to empatize you rather than CHANGE you, which is much more benefitial to us
  4. learning how to reject and retaliate with logical reasonings stop further damage to yourself emotionally and mentally
  5. additional help is good because some of the social workers are trained to help people that have certain issues yet have no others to turn to
  6. sufficient sleep proven to eliminate the chemical produced when one burns the night oil which causes one to be easily vexed and angered (my country had midnight to morning shift jobs, one of my colleagues displayed such atittude even though he was quite an ok person so it’s been proven true)

michael a.k.a lordarous

You cannot talk or pray your way out of having schizophrenia.
This is silly.
Schizophrenia is primarily treated through meds.
Talking with a therapist can help treat some of the secondary issues that arise but will not cure schizophrenia.
I’m sorry to burst your bubble.

4 Likes

Meds do nothing for me. I dont understand why some of you are against alternative treatments. If they help just one symptom its worthwhile.

1 Like

Therapy requires patience and effort while medications is quick easy solution. This is why most people opt medications rather than therapy. For conditions in which the individual lost insight of their illness medications and other treatment is must as therapy requires effort from the individual.

1 Like

Like others have said:

• Medication can get rid of your hallucinations, delusions, and paranoia
• Therapy can help you cope with the symptoms that medication doesn’t get rid of entirely or symptoms that aren’t helped by medication at all, such as negative symptoms

1 Like

Yes, I believe schizophrenia especially in an early phase can (sometimes) be cured by therapy.

It helps me loads to know what my delusions come from, to find better ways to deal with emotions and thoughts, break self-destructive patterns of behaviour. Since they refused to give me therapy i had to do that myself, but having someone guide me would have been so much better.

1 Like

alls i can say is as soon as i went on meds second time round is my pscyhosis went within to weeks…so idk if it is placebo or what…or coinidience

therapy does a great job thou i am so greaful i get it for free (uk) helps to sort out messy thoughts

As been Said. All Schizophrenics need an Anti-psyhotic that suits them. We would be fcked without them - if you was honest.

Therapy helps tho, to learn coping skills on how to manage it properly. You cant just rely on drugs for recovery.

2 Likes

Only if she was really, really cute.

There is necessary “multi actions”:
• meds
• cognitive therapy
• socialization (group therapy)
• willpower
• healthy habits
• resilience

This would help to have a loooong remission. Not cure