Do you mind being called schizophrenic?

I was reading a post on reddit, I dont frequent there often, but someone said its rude to call someone with sz/sza schizophrenic as they are more than their condition. Its more proper to say they have schizophrenia than it is to call them a schizophrenic.

I personally havent thought about it, and I dont really find it offensive to be called a schizophrenic, but was wondering about a general consensus.

Do you find that offensive?

2 Likes

I thinks it’s the context… maybe it’s about the thought of being exposed in public to others as a schizophrenic.

2 Likes

You know, I don’t mind being called schizophrenic, but I also have borderline personality disorder and I hate when people use the term borderline. It’s like people understand that schizophrenia is an organic disorder but BPD is commonly misconstrued as a personality defect. The stigma of BPD is way worse than sz.

2 Likes

I would like to be called a person with schizophrenia, for I don’t want stigma to overshadow my humanity.

2 Likes

I just don’t want to be called crazy. I think it’s the worst thing you could possibly call someone.

4 Likes

Call me whatever. I don’t really care. It is what it is. But working many years as a home manager for people who have intellectual and sometimes physical disabilities we were taught to use people first language.

1 Like

I’m sorry you’ve had to deal with that stigma.

I hate it when my mother in law uses that word. She does to describe the illness thinking it will give understanding but really it causes stigma

2 Likes

I agree. People call me crazy in a joking manner and it really upsets me. They think they are being cute or funny but I find it very rude.

1 Like

Yeah I get it from some family members. I stopped hanging around them because of it.

I think that confusion has less to do with stigma and more to do with the fact that some goddamn genius mistakenly classified them as disorders of “personality,” as if having one of these illnesses automatically means that there’s some defect in a sufferer’s character. The worst part to me is that all of the so called “personality disorders” seem to be variants of post-traumatic stress. It almost seems like doctors diagnose personality disorders when they’re either too lazy to try and get to the root of their patients’ symptoms, or too incompetent to know any better.

Anyway, I don’t really care if people call me schizophrenic. Hell, I call myself schizophrenic, or even “schizo” when I get tired of spelling out the entire word. It just happens with some disorders, like how we call people with cancer “cancer patients,” but people with diabetes “diabetics.”

2 Likes

I don’t find ‘schizophrenic’ offensive. What I find offensive is the word “mentally crazy” in Korean- 정신병자 (jeongsinbyeongja) This word is used as a swear word in Korea. So if someone calls you a jeongsinbyeongja, it means that you are crazy and you are horrible. Everyone uses this word if they think you are rude or something, regardless of if you are mentally ill or not.

It’s seriously all over the internet and it horrifies me.

2 Likes

Cancer and diabetes have less stigma than schizophrenia. The only illness that I can think of at this moment with comparable stigma to schizophrenia is AIDS. We don’t call them AIDSbetics, we call them people with AIDS.

It doesn’t bother me if I’m called a schizophrenic, but looking at the big picture I do think that words matter. They matter because they influence societal behavior towards people with schizophrenia.

2 Likes

I haven’t really thought about it to be honest. I guess i don’t mind being called a Schizophrenic but i do mind the connotations that go with it - that you’re crazy, stupid, disabled, split personality, etc.

2 Likes

I dont mind the word “schizphrenic” or even schizophrenia sufferer.
Its the abbreviated word “SCHIZO” i really hate - cos its always been said in
a derogatory way to me.

To me its just as bad as calling a Cerebal Palsy Sufferer a “spastic”.

Maybe im just over-sensitive

1 Like

No one calls me either except on here.
If I had my choice, I would like to be referred to as “the handsome, cut, well-dressed, charming, funny, intelligent gentleman.” But that will never happen, even on my best days.

7 Likes

I don’t find this word coming into common language at all, as other people don’t know. Only my family officially know, and my mother says it sometimes.

I am the same as @Naarai I overhear the word schizo being used to insult someone it bothers me.

3 Likes

The girl on the YouTube channel Living Well With Schizophrenia says this as well. But I don’t understand it really, people with autism are fine being called autistic, why should we be bothered when someone calls us schizophrenic?

1 Like

That’s a) not always true, and b) completely irrelevant to my point. What people call people with certain illnesses seems to have more to do with how the words sound than stigma. We’ve got people with generalized anxiety disorder, people with PTSD, people with delusional disorder… I’m just not convinced that it’s got anything to do with stigma.

2 Likes

I totally don’t care. It helps me when describing symptoms to my peers. It helps in getting the medication. Call me anything it’s no drama for me. I think it’s lasted this long and it’s just poor education that breeds stigma. It’s not the term schizophrenia. In fact. I often tell people I’m paranoid schizophrenic.

2 Likes