Do you look at people's profiles on here?

Sometimes I check if there are profile views in the morning when I visit my page and notice it goes up and up everyday.
Honestly it does not bother me (paranoia) yet but I wonder if other users here actually check people’s profiles here?

To see what they have posted that day etc? or if they are online?

The most thing that bothers me right now is anybody on the web can read our posts and sometimes they are very private and very horrible stuff. I wish actually the forum would be available to read to only registered users on the site.

Plus there is the share on Twitter or Facebook button, sometimes I worry about it. Especially mockery.

Do you check others’ profiles? If yes, what is the reason?

• yes
  • no

0 voters

1 Like

Yes I look for their top liked reply. It is sometimes a pic of them. If I’m interested in what they look like. M
Also if someone changes their profile pic I oftentimes click on their profile to see a closer view.

Or if they’re a new user I might click it for shits and giggs.

3 Likes

On the main board I often click on the avatar of folk so I can see the picture better. Not sure if this counts on profile hits.

3 Likes

I have recently been abusing firemonkey’s profile. It helped me find out more about him, as I needed that.
But in general, I rarely open a profile. It is usually for members who have gone missing, so that I could find out if they are gone for good or are simply lurking the forum but not posting.

2 Likes

I do not even have a picture up almost 99% of the time. so not sure why it going up? I guess I have checked maybe a total 10-15 times since 2015 other users profiles. And to see if they are suspended etc or maybe message them?

1 Like

I have 1149 hits! I pity folk who look me up cos I don’t even have a bio or anything. Just a backdrop.

4 Likes

yeah you do! :smile: I had never checked your profile :o)

I really like that blue backdrop!

2 Likes

I usually look at people which i don’t know or new users

1 Like

Yes I do…, usually by accident cos I get impatient when the page don’t load :confused:

2 Likes

@SzAdmin. It looks like Discourse did put in an option for the site administrator to implement to not allow non-logged-in users to view user profiles. This option might be worth considering for this forum.

8 Likes

@MissMermaid I found this on the Discourse website. It looks like this depends on the Admin settings for the site.

The default setting is to count a new user profile view once per IP/User every N hours where the default for N is 8 hours. However, the Admin setting for N can be changed so not sure if it’s set to 8 hours for this forum.

1 Like

@Moonbeam I am worried about outsiders reading or sharing our problems on twitter etc. =(
People still mock mental illness pretty aggressively and we post such things =(

I do not care if other users check my profile for whatever reason, maybe to see a reply or something, whatever. Only I guess anxious about outsiders.

1 Like

@MissMermaid When I was searching on the Discourse Meta website about this topic, I found some posts about just this question from one of our forum’s previous moderators @BarbieBF back in 2015. It’s in the Discourse topic I posted above (@BarbieBF posted as Barbie on the Discourse Meta site).

it looks like Discourse has implemented this option in 2016 as something the site administrator can implement through site Admin settings.

Perhaps @SzAdmin might consider implementing this option (only allowing profile views if user is logged in)?

1 Like

I only look at people’s profiles when they change name.

I do things like search for sleepybug and see which profile it’s linked to today.

But I haven’t done this in over a month…

1 Like

I would like that my threads not to appear on Google, what do you think? Is it good or not to appear on Google?

2 Likes

I don’t look at profiles, but I just checked yours :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’ve done this - can someone just confirm that its working?

6 Likes

Yeah it is working!

2 Likes

We have a lot of good information and all the user information is anonymous - so all forum threads are included in google. THis helps people find the site and helps people get the information they need so we support it.

4 Likes

How do you set it?