Do you identify as or are you diagnosed with or suspicious of being mildly autistic?

I suspect I have Asperger’s. I’ve taken several of those online quizzes and always score really high. I’ve never asked my psychiatrist, though.

1 Like

I was thought to have Aspergers but it turned out to be a red herring.

1 Like

I always feel I’ve got myself an autistic soul and a retarded mind
Anyway diagnosing yourself is usually useless, maybe aside from some emotional effects and topics for conversations on stuff you aren’t really sure about

1 Like

I can be social when I want to be but a diagnosis of autism wouldn’t be completely out of left field for me.

1 Like

Yes, I was diagnosed with ASD by a medical professional and one psychologist. I’ve been told that mine is very mild.

2 Likes

I’m not really current at all (probably never was) with autism or ASD… but I think I’ve seen enough about it to see some of the underlying similarities between it and schizophrenia.

Both are likely caused by a wide ranging and diversified set of genes… each have a subsets of symptoms that are all blanketed under a singular diagnostic label. Both are near total mysteries to neurologists… but a lot of that is due to the dynamic configuration of each case.

What is similar is that schizophrenics and autistic individuals have a lot in common regarding their character. Anti-social, non-sensical, occasionally more brilliant at things than people… both are chronic illnesses. Both have a high degree of dysfunctionality in a person overall…

Because of the vague nature of autism… I would never identify with autism. However having schizophrenia and seeing how similar the diseases are in operation… I can identify in having similar aspects rumored to correspond with autistic processes in my mind.

Most of those I have managed to over come… Like high social-anxiety and things of that nature.

In any rate… I think brain disorders are going to be determined by genetic identification moving forward… and from there we are going to see fracturing of diagnostic labels into more appropriate sub-illnesses… and the treatments will be centered around restoring neuro-typical functionality in the face of the abnormalities that arise from consistent genetic divergence.

Really on a cellular level, it’s all gene expression and the proteins those genes create… so it’s a game of cellular chemistry instead neural receptors…

another neat thing is… that neuroscience is actually at an advantage when it comes to having illness like schizophrenia or autism to analyze… because a normal brain has a lot of natural process that go unnoticed or lack full documentation because they are easy to over look… unless you find those systems are responsible for an illness if they are altered… then suddenly the risks of manipulating those systems becomes clear… while also opening new doors for treatment because a new mechanism of the brain has been discovered.

You know… much like in the process referred to in this other post:

raw

Not anymore. I blame it on the schizophrenia.

4 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

I’m diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome. I don’t think I have it though. My symptoms didn’t really start until high school when I got really ill with OCD. I had some symptoms, but not enough to warrant a diagnosis I don’t think.

I got tested for autism when I was like 4 apparently I did not meet the criteria

1 Like

autism and schizophrenia are similar in that we have difficulties with theory of mind. ex. having trouble understanding how other people feel and think.

If you’ve ever seen severe autism, you would quickly be able to distingush it from asociality, or poor social skills. I have the schizoid personality disorder traits, which may superficially seem similar to autism because I have a hard time with human interactions. I have had these traits from a young age, and was selectively mute in preschool. I still don’t believe I exhibit the behaviors which indicate any autism spectrum disorders. Severe forms of these disorders are usually very disabling and dramatic in their manifestations.

i was diagnosed with an asd when i was about 13 or so. there were signs of me having it from birth, especially poor eye contact and sensory problems, but no one ever picked up on it until i was in middle school when things got really apparent

2 Likes

There were probably more pressing issues at the time.

I have found this out only after about 8 years out of hospital in my 40’s
it was by chance really through curiosity finding out.

I asked her out of curiosity.
it turns out that Schizophrenics tend to have a slightly modified version of autism
it is mild and also misses out some things more often than not - the thing about one singular obsession may not be there and there is more social interaction needed / possible

I found this out through genetic testing and q and a interview with a scientific study

Where is the red herring ?

it turns out that Schizophrenics tend to have a slightly modified version of autism
it is mild and also misses out some things more often than not - the thing about one singular obsession may not be there and there is more social interaction needed / possible

I found this out through genetic testing and q and a interview with a scientific study

1 Like

Sure - mine is mild,
Aspergers it used to be called
it is a spectrum and will always be different for each individual.

Schizophrenics tend to have a slightly modified version of autism