Do you have trouble controlling your emotions?

I realized today that I do. My mom was trying to be funny but she was making me mad so I started crying. Other times I get angry and randomly start crying. This happens often.

4 Likes

I’m the opposite as a general rule. I don’t really display emotion in real life.

4 Likes

My emotions come and go however they want, but I find that actually expressing them takes a lot of energy. If I didn’t force myself to smile I’d just be flat.

5 Likes

I’m pretty in control of most of my emotions. Some alters are pretty emotional. But I know one has really flat affect.

1 Like

The opposite problem sounds stressful too. Sometimes crying is helpful. Even when I’m by myself I can’t control them. The medicine helps but today I just got so angry. I wanted to punch my mom. I have to hide my frustration with people or else I’d scream at them or hit them. I guess I can control my emotions in some ways but not others. @Noise How do your alters that are emotional deal with it? Do you know?

2 Likes

Well of my alters i know one just tries to get away from the situation. And she normally go lock herself in our room

Some of the others I wouldn’t consider good rolemodels.

As for me I used to get emotional a lot and I used to have terrible anger issues. I find it’s helpful to think about why am I mad

Cause for example your mom made a joke and it pissed you off so you gotta figure out why.

The next thing you gotta do is figure out was the reaction you had appropriate?

Like you said you were so mad you wanted to punch your mom. Obviously not the best response to something lke that

just try to think of how you could have handled the situation better. Like by telling your mom that the joke wasn’t funny and it bothers you and walking away if you’re too heated.

Also something help I found is taking a deep breath before responding. It gives you some time to think before you act.

And just know it’s ok to walk away.

This is just what helped me I hope you feel better @Sardonic

3 Likes

What emotions?
I can laugh only when something really bad happens. :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

I still have them but way less of an issue since the meds. That isn’t a bad thing for me. I was always an emotional wreck before the pills! These days I live with much better relationships to everyone and enjoy life as much as I can!

4 Likes

I have very flat affect, I can’t feel much joy or sadness, which is pretty worrisome. What makes things worse is that my head hurts constantly, which makes me angry. I feel like a monster that’s only capable of feeling irate towards others. Fortunately it’s getting better with this new treatment I’m on.

4 Likes

I’m overly emotional lately. I can’t handle any kind of stress. I cry when I’m angry. I cry when I’m sad. I rage hardcore. It’s all bad.

4 Likes

I have trouble controlling my flashes of self pity. It can turn into angry thoughts toward the world in general.

5 Likes

I only really cry because people make me mad or the beings are saying something that I don’t like. I suppose the other side of the spectrum would be laughing when people ask me what’s wrong with me. I do that too. It doesn’t help matters. Ever. I have intrusive thoughts I think from the beings, but maybe not from them, who often proceed to call me out and tell me I’m an awful person and then I can’t control my guilt. I know that all people have intrusive thoughts, but the beings put other thoughts in my head and I think they put those there too, or at least they’re the reason the thoughts are repetitive. I have OCD and some of the beings say they caused it. Other beings tell me things to make me paranoid and I then can’t control my anxiety even if I think that what the beings are saying might not be true. Like I said, it’s gotten better with the medicine but today was unfortunate, as was the other day and as are the nights that I can’t sleep because I feel like a piece of trash.

2 Likes

I’m bad at dealing with stress too.

1 Like

Im working on showing more emotions.

2 Likes

I tend to get angry at every person, but I understand that generalized anger that comes from feeling frustrated with life.

1 Like

If it makes you feel any better, being irritated or angry towards people doesn’t make you a monster. This is a valid feeling that (I think) comes from being frustrated by the world.

2 Likes

Appreciate it, but I’m getting angry at any kind of motion in my field of vision, like indiscriminately. Been happening less recently, thankfully, but at it’s worst I feel like some kind of hate machine.

It’s a manifestation of the chronic headache I have.

2 Likes

I’ve been crying a lot over the past six months. I just started crying one day and it’s been a thing ever since.

I cry when I’m sad or anxious or frustrated, which is quite often these days.

But I get the urge to cry at other times too, like when someone scores a point in a game and the crowd cheers. Or if someone raises their voice. It’s like any emotional reaction I have comes out in tears. Not sure why this is happening to me, but I feel like a wreck.

4 Likes

Well I still don’t think you’re a monster. You’re dealing with a lot and it’s okay to feel frustrated with it. :heart:

3 Likes

I get it. There are things that make me cry that really probably shouldn’t, but I really can’t help it. But I hope that you can start to feel better soon. Crying sometimes is therapeutic, but crying all of the time just gets really annoying really fast, I know. Side note, people raising their voices makes me really angry and/or sad, depending on the day. People yelling is anxiety producing and frustrating, not to mention almost always completely unnecessary. I suppose I shouldn’t talk though, because people often make me feel like yelling at them.

2 Likes