Do you have good social skills?

My favorite hobby :flushed:, canā€™t wait for the voices because at the moment we are only 3 (me, myself an I).

nothing much 

1 Like

I had good social skills before the illness. After the onset theyā€™ve slowly gone downhill.

Well me either. Tried to start recording my game sessions but the capture card wonā€™t work. What a pain.

2 Likes

wow i responded to this thread without looking at the thread category (Dxā€™d - Other) or the original poster. so I take my first post back. was just about to delete it too, but it is too late now. after 25 minutes, canā€™t delete posts. sorry. if you flag it, you can request its deletion. flameoftherhine says he does that to his own posts sometimes, methinketh. i canā€™t flag posts though

I guess I shouldā€™ve posted on the sz board since Iā€™m asking people withan sz diagnosis itā€™s just habit for me to post in this one, donā€™t worry about it! :slight_smile:

Schizophrenia actually has worse prognosis than schizoaffective according to DSM. I suspect part of the reason is because in schizoaffective, you actually have a mood component. This means when you are hypomanic or manic, you actually become more of a functional person. Some schizophrenics show flat affect and lack of motivation to do anything which makes their road to recovery worse.

I am diagnosed with schizophrenia. I do alright in university communicating with fellow classmates.

Hmm true. However if you have sza depressive type there is none of that mania so I am wondering how that couldnā€™t be worse. Interesting!

I was in a lecture by a psychology professor, he talks about depression, bipolar and schizophrenia on a spectrum. In terms of cognitive abilities relating to attention, various types of memory and concentration, depression shows lightest impairment, bipolar is in the middle and schizophrenia is worst.

Since depression is on the lighter spectrum of impairment compared to pure schizophrenia, this likely means that schizoaffective depressive typeā€™s impairment is also lighter than pure schizophrenia. The same is true for schizoaffective bipolar type, which is practically the same thing as bipolar with psychosis other than a technical difference. Since bipolar is more mild in terms of cognitive impairment, it is likely schizoaffective bipolar type is also more mild than schizophrenia.

However, this is a generalization. As you can tell, even though I am diagnosed with schizophrenia, I suffer from no cognitive impairments and my social skills are far above the typical schizophrenic.

1 Like

Yes itā€™s all on a spectrum. Also even if depression on its own is milder than sz, sz+depression seems it would be worse.

However upon reading more about sza it seems that time is spent between psychosis and the mood disorder? So sometimes there is pure psychosis and no mood issues and sometimes there is pure mood and no psychosis issues? So that could explain it too, being fully psychotic all the time youā€™d be worse off than if you at least had periods of lucidity, even if you were depressed during them.

Yes, sz doesnā€™t include mood problemsā€¦ because the mood itself is completely missingā€¦

When I am at work and there is something specific I need to talk about, I do fine.

Socially I donā€™t say anything to anyone really and not even my family knows what to say to me sometimes. I am usually lost in thought and pretty detached from whats going on.

I think the issue is knowing what to say to people. At work what I say has a purpose, but if there is no structure then I am unable to really communicate effectively.

2 Likes

Yes I have good social skills.
However, my functioning is severely impaired and itā€™s certainly not due to psychosis.
It is due mainly to severe cognitive problems and impairment and also poor sleep quality and patterns and a little breathing problems.

I know at my worst I was not functional at all, almost catatonic. I remember being at a Christmas party and staying in the bedroom the whole time, and when I did get out I held on to my wife and stared at the ground talking to myself. So in those instances I was not functional at all. Now that Iā€™m on meds and theyā€™ve worked a good deal I can be very coherent.

I also wonder how the cognate impairment plays out if letā€™s say you had an iq of 142 and went down to 111. Thatā€™s a significant decline but who would really peg you as cognitively impaired?

I have sz and have no idea what to say to ppl and donā€™t even have the desire to connect with ppl. I have no friends and itā€™s ok with me. Peace in mind is the most important thing.

But I do perfectly fine when I talk to shop clerks and such. I know thereā€™s purpose. I know what to say.

1 Like

I really relate to the last bit. Thank you for that. I have always wondered why I do cope well with people at work, or school, when discussing concrete issues, but not at social ā€œchattyā€ situations. ā€œLack of structureā€. Another piece of puzzle foundā€¦

Also I like talking one on one with people but I tend to hate groups, a couple beers helps too

2 Likes

Similar hereā€¦ although I cannot drink as getting really paranoid on my hangover, so not worth itā€¦

Sometimes groups are easier, you donā€™t have to listen/talk as much. I end up saying nothing. Easy but boring at the same time so I stay away from groups anyway

I like one on one because thereā€™s a flow of thought back and forth that I can follow. Plus you get that personā€™s sole attention which I like. Overall I think the conversations are much more interesting 1:1 than just sitting at a table with a bunch of people and trying to follow all their ideas and then try to edge in with one of my own.

Plus if you say something they donā€™t like you can tell from their reaction rather than trying to follow the reactions of multiple people

1 Like