Do you have good social skills?

When I sent in a supporting letter for ESA it said I had very poor social skills. I have a feeling it has more to do with either Aspergers(traits?) or non verbal learning disorder, which I believe I may have though not diagnosed, than any psychiatric illness.

I donā€™t fit with this theory. I have schizophrenia, yet my social skills are good enough that when I was homeless I was always able to find a place to stay. I work in sales currently, and I can read people and convince them to buy expensive jewelry pretty easily. I love going to parties and making new friends.

And I was just recently interviewed by a new doctor, who confirmed the diagnosis of schizophrenia, even after I became stable. I do t have any mood disorder on record, though my doctor has thrown around the word ā€œhypomaniaā€ a bit with me.

3 Likes

I believe my social skills are excellent.

i have really bad social skillsā€¦ people are sometimes drawn to me cos iā€™m quiet and a good listenerā€¦ however once i open my mouth people then realize how weird i amā€¦

2 Likes

Once I know someone fairly well, I can be very friendly and talkative. When it comes to people I havenā€™t met, if Iā€™m not introduced or otherwise feel obligated to, I usually wonā€™t initiate conversation. And for some reason Iā€™m super introverted online. Iā€™m always worried I canā€™t convey the way I talk. My diagnosis is psychosis-NOS.

Iā€™m good one on one but a big group freaks me out a bit.

My social skills completely disappeared after the onset of schizophrenia and taking medicine. Now I even dont like being around people that much probably because I dont function well. I miss being able to socialize having friends and enjoying life.

1 Like