Do you get tempted to keep things from psychiatrists/mental health workers?

I have never divulged to my pdoc or therapists that I had a problem with weed and alcohol. I didn’t want to lose my disability because I was an addict. Now that I’ve pretty much nipped my vices in the bud, I have nothing to hide anymore.

I’ve kept a few things from my doctor out of fear that she will make me take even more medication than I already do. But then when I don’t mention things they build, and build until I can’t control it any more and it just gets worse.I know they’re they’re to help but its embarrassing talking to people about hearing or seeing things that aren’t there or thinking things that aren’t real.

This is probably why I was worried at first that my doc wouldn’t believe me, I eventually had to bring in extra support and had her meet my mom to back up my claims. I have a hard time trusting people, and hard time asking for help.

I was seeing this one doctor since I moved to St. Louis, he was okay but not very efficient. I’d see him but he’d only ask the same questions and i didn’t see the relevance to the questions and the time I was supposed to spend with him. Like he’d ask about friends, and what not…true I was a teenager but I wasn’t there to see him about problems with the people I hung out with. Then he moved, but came back…then I went to an appointment with him one day, my dad was with me, since he drove me there, and we sat in the waiting room for like an hour but never saw him or a patient come out, and the person he shared the place with saw two patients at the time. And another person came in with someone who we found out also had an appointment with my doctor. Eventually we got tired of waiting and asked the other doctor the third time he popped out of mine was in. The doctor told us he moved from the office. No letter, no warning, nothing just gone.

I wound up at a temp job that had insurance and my current doctor was on that plan, and she registered me. I then lost that job, and went back to a second temp job where I stayed without insurance but my doctor agreed to see me, and I was glad because I was really starting to feel comfortable around her and thought I could trust her. She is my current doctor now, but I still don’t know if she believes everything I tell her…and no I don’t tell her everything I probably should. It’s a never ending cycle.

1 Like