Do you ever worry that taking so many medications will be detrimental to your health in the long term?

I take a cholesteral pill, two diabetes pills, Vitamin D and an AP. I was on an antidepressant but we think that was what was causing me high liver enzymes so I discontinued that.

Do you think long term use of all these medications we take will damage our bodies in the long term?

5 Likes

Oh most definitely. It’s a roll of the dice what long term (if in fact, any) effects you will have.

3 Likes

I take a lot of meds also, mainly for my physical health plus an antipsychotic and occasional benzo.

These meds will most likely have long term effects but will save you in the short term.

3 Likes

I take a cholesterol pill, vit D, an AP, Resveratrol supplement, and an Estroven (black cohosh). I have a facial tic from the AP risperdal that I’ve been taking for almost 27 years. But I would be dead from suicide or murder if I would not be medicated, so that’s the trade off. I need my medicines to live.

4 Likes

Its better than having psychosis. I would rather die sane than insane. I take AP, cholesterol pills, Metformin, blood pressure pills, vit d prescription and prn Benzatropine. I am 30.

1 Like

I was prescribed Benzatropine for that. I had eyelid tremors on high dose Risperdal but they reduced the dose and it went away.

2 Likes

Oh cool! Benzatropine, huh? Mine is that my mouth twitches. It’s not too noticeable since lots of people’s mouths twitch, so it’s not too bad.

1 Like

Well, I figure I got 40 years out of the deal. I mean everything after age 21 is a bonus.

4 Likes

My grandmother takes more Than 15 pills a day for over 30 to 40 years. She’s an example that it’s possible to be healthy on meds at 98. Well she has arthritis and blood pressure and copd but she’s doing ok.

5 Likes

Wow, 98. That’s really hangin in there. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I was on an antidepressant for two years in my early twenties and it did wonders for my mental functioning but made me constipated and excessively sweaty. I would still be on it though if my pdoc at the time hadn’t abruptly decided to get me off of it. She was the worst doc I had, didn’t even wean me off gradually. But then I heard on TV at the time that most docs won’t continue antidepressants for longer than 2 years so I just kept quiet.

2 Likes

I take a lot of supplements, I’m not worried about those since I can take breaks ftom them whenever I feel like it. The ap I’ve been on a real long time…I know it it’s not good for me in the long run, but I have a problem that requires me to take it. In a way I feel the ap’s are making me insane. Like how i view certain things has gone sideways. But still it’s a much lesser insanity than slipping into psychosis.

I wish I could take M&M’s instead though.

4 Likes

I used to worry about getting bald patches I’m a female, on my head. But now I’m OK if that happens, I can find ways to deal with that, but the REAL concern is parkinsons and TD. IMO.

And of course indirectly, cardiovascular shiity things.

2 Likes

Only antipsychotics cause problems, other meds are mostly harmless.

2 Likes

I’m on anti depressants blood pressure pills and I’m pre diabetic. If it wasn’t for meds tho I wouldn’t be here today… scared how it might screw with my body 20 or 30 years from now

4 Likes

My main worry over the years has been weight and TD. The former has been an issue, never had a problem with the latter, thankfully. The two main issues I’ve had in terms of bad outcomes from meds were the explosive weight gain from Zyprexa and the agranulocytosis from the Clozaril. My ongoing strategy is to use coping strategies, therapy, and a handful of proven supplements to function on a minimal dose of head meds. I defintely can’t go off them, but I don’t have to eat them out of a PEZ dispenser, either.

4 Likes

Yes I don’t expect to retire

2 Likes

well my great great grandmother lived to be 104 so If the meds kick me back ill prob still live into my 80s :smile:

5 Likes

yes i do , i am been on ap for 25 years!

2 Likes

yes there are side effects but personally i would nt go with the anti psychotics…my life would be sh*t if i didnt have these meds

2 Likes