Can i die from taking antipsychotics?

sorry, i know this isn’t the best subject to talk about but i am genuinely worried about this and idk how long i have but, i hope the medication isn’t going to cause premature death :frowning:
does it depend on how much i take and am i more likely to develop other conditions such as dementia?

Click on this thread to put your mind at rest

3 Likes

thanks, i remember they use to say that you can lose 20 years of your life on ap’s :frowning: its scary and tbh i’m not very healthy just now :frowning: my gf wants me to go to the gym and walk more etc

2 Likes

@Resilient1 I would trust yourself more than a study,
because different people respond differently to APs.
How are you doing physically on Aps compared to off them?
Do you feel energetic?
Do you exercise?

I know you can die from being off them.

4 Likes

Nope. That’s just schizophrenia. Nothing to do with meds.

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/national/national/2017/02/07/bad-heart-health-kills-schizophrenia-patients.html

So don’t smoke. Look after your ticker.

7 Likes

idk, i think i would be physically better if i came off of them but i would probably get unwell,
i’m not that healthy, i dont exercise much, i’m just really worried about my health, i get anxious a lot but idk if thats what it is and i think i have turned into a hypocondriac :frowning:

@everhopeful i stopped smoking and i’m trying to eat healthy etc, only thing i’m not good at is exercising, i get anxious and things. do you think i might live a bit longer, i worry that my heart is poor bc i get anxious (i think its anxiety) :frowning:

2 Likes

The best thing you can do is get blood tests every 6 months or even yearly. They’ll catch anything you need to worry about. Anything else is just guessing.

4 Likes

Been taking them for over 25 years, I’m doing fine.

6 Likes

I’m not going to try to say anything about the effects of antipsychotics on your longevity, but you also have to consider the effects of being psychotic on your life span. If it wasn’t for the med’s I would be one of those street people you see standing on street corners raving to himself. I’d probably be eating out of garbage cans too.

5 Likes

I’m not going to lie to anyone here.
The meds probably do shorten our lives, but so does remaining actively psychotic.
I’ll stay on my meds.
Quality of life is important too.

6 Likes

that’s terrible , very terrible

Everyone dies of something, sooner or later. Just put your best foot forward on the day you’re in and things will sort themselves out in the long run.

3 Likes

I go by quality of life over quantity…
.sure I’d love to live forever but there’s a balance. Happiness matters. Without meds most don’t really live life and with meds you have to be on the right dose as well. I slept most of my day the first time I was put on them so that’s not a quality of life but now I do have a good quality of life with meds (4 years of docs tweaking them). It takes endurance. But just go one day at a time. Live in the now!

2 Likes

I don’t know if I will die from taking AP’S but I will still be taking them when I die. No more episodes for me.

3 Likes

@Resilient1 take your meds…you’re not going to die from taking them. you could lose everything!!

2 Likes

We all go, but we all go together. :heart:

1 Like

@Resilient1 Please stay on your meds.
Staying in a psychotic state can kill you.
There are older people who have been on meds forever - some here on this site!
Remaining on meds long term is not necessarily dangerous.
But coming off meds can be dangerous!
I should have been more careful with my words.
My apologies.

3 Likes

I don’t know which is worse, brain death or taking brain pills. Either way I’m dying. Hopefully it happens before I get locked up in a hospital the last 5 years of life. From being just too far gone to treat. That’s my biggest fear, not death but getting trapped in a padded room like they did in the old days.

hey,

No. You can’t.

Early intervention with the appropriate medications works pretty good for positive symptoms these days. There’s plenty of choice on the market but schizophrenia is a hard thing to deal with. You end up dealing with sedation and negatives…and those negatives can be just as disabling.

If you look at the history of psychiatry it’s all been about the meds. I still knew people in the noughties who had mailing address’s at the mental wards. I know guys who played cricket near the nut houses. We have improved remarkably from those days!

It’s not easy. But medications are better for most folk. It’s a compromise for sure …but it’s ultimately one where you can win with better function and live a decent life of sorts!

A friend in the struggle,

rogueone.

1 Like