Do you believe we can choose what we think about?

Under normal circumstances, I think we can.

I can. However, I constantly have a voice that distracts me.

1 Like

i feel like my thoughts are out of my control

this is hard when i am trying to conversate with people

1 Like

I think it’s all just programming.

1 Like

Yes to some degree given the environment.

Can you delete it all and let your mind rest?

I believe it can be deleted.

1 Like

No, and if you hang out in spiritual circles, most people who are super aware of their thoughts and the thinking process don’t even believe that they’re the ones thinking the thoughts. They see it like the thoughts are just happening and that they are just witnessing the thoughts as they come.

In rough yes. But once you think about a subject I think the details that pop up are kind of random. Like you can control what subject to think about, but not the details.

1 Like

Uhhmmmm…to a very limited extent?

My thoughts are for a large part happening to me and influenced by things out of my control, like what I was born with and into and taught. I can pick what I give attention to. For instance I avoid creepy things (books, movies, music) because they give me creepy thoughts. But me deciding that, happened because of my birth traits and environment and all that too.

1 Like

With me it is both: Sometimes I can, and sometimes I can’t. It’s amazing how strong a mental habit can be.

1 Like

In my case it’s often beyond my control.

1 Like

For a moment, yes, until it gets watered down by environment/thoughts from others.

Sure you can come up with any topic you like, but whether your brain will think anything original about it may not be a choice you have. If you think something that is not an original idea then you are not really choosing to think it, it is just appearing from memory.

1 Like

Appearing as something to think about, accept or discard.

1 Like

I guess there are choices to make, I was just going on the certainty that an original thought was created through your own intentions as it is harder to prove you choose to think something that is in your memory

Right. I don’t think any of us choose to have PTSD.

1 Like