Schizophrenia.com

Do sch people can drive

I think to start drive a car. I would like to drive.
How are you like drivers?

I can drive most vehicles and am a good driver. It’s a skill that learnable and sz people can drive just as good or bad as everyone else as long as meds don’t interfere with things. I’ve never had a problem on the meds and driving.

1 Like

I still drive good. I did drive a lot when I was on Abilify as my negative symptoms were a lot better. Now I drive less bcz of negative symptoms and covid.

1 Like

I learned that I get symptoms if I go for long drives…like many hours in a stretch. But short term driving is no problem.

3 Likes

i drive still, but only for short periods at a time though.

2 Likes

I drive whenever I can, I can’t afford a car right now but I love doing it, sometimes its nerve racking

1 Like

I drive fine. Although I generally only drive a couple times a week.

3 Likes

I’ve driven off meds and psychotic before just as well as on meds

1 Like

I would make ssure you are fit to drive everytime you want or need to drive, i have had to stop myself driving numerous times bc i havent been well enough to drive, its good but you got to make sure its safe for everyone, if you have an accident it could be really bad, i had to ask my GP’s permission and i had been stable for a long time and he asked me a few questions and it was fine,

Usually if you get admitted to hospital your driving license is taken away or suspended for a while but as i went into hospital voluntarily then it meant i could keep my license which is something i really thank god for bc i really, really need this car.

I don’t think thats true mrhappy. I’ve been admitted several times and have never had anyone attempt to take away my drivers license.

1 Like

where are you from? it might be different, i think it happens here in uk if you are sectioned

I’m in US. Maybe it is different in U.K.

1 Like

The right to drive . You have the right to drive, but if you are diagnosed with certain severe mental health conditions and taking certain types of medication, your driving licence may be temporarily suspended. says this for here.

Surely there is something in place for people who may not be able to drive safely bc of illness? i’d have thought that would be worldwide and sensible.

1 Like

I drive but only locally. I cannot afford the gas and I like staying home. I can go to the store and such and visit my dad and pick up my scripts.

I have really no need or no places to go.

Nope. Don’t think we have that here. Never had a problem with it, Thank God

2 Likes

I drive. 15151515

I drive all the time for my job. I probably drive close to 500 miles a week. I’ve never been in an accident and I drive very well

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

I can’t drive while psychotic as voices told me to drive with closed eyes and I did it, almost had an accident.

1 Like