Do I HAVE to reveal diagnosis to employer?

I got through the interview . So on to the second stage where they test my skills. But do I tell them? Can I just say “mood disorder” when they ask? As that’s what I was told by a few pdocs. Just the last one didn’t want to change the dx yet officially.

4 Likes

I was vague in my interview. I told them I was handicapped and have taken time off because of illness. There’s too much stigma on sz. Maybe there’s less stigma on a mood disorder.

3 Likes

My official dx is sza… but several doctors have mentioned the possibility of it only being a mood disorder. There is still stigma, as I have faced with past employers… but if I am vague about it (by saying mood disorder and not being to specific) it might be less of an issue.

1 Like

I don’t know where you live. But I’m in the USA, and employers cannot legally ask about health status, whether mental or physical.

It’s up to the employee to disclose any health issues.

I have gotten accomodations at work, by disclosing my health issues, vaguely, to the HR department. I had a doctor note.

4 Likes

that’s not true, but they can’t discriminate against you over what they find out from a pee test.

I revealed my bipolar diagnosis to my bosses and to HR at my job and I was constantly being discriminated against.
I had to reveal it to them in order for me to get accommodations.

I wouldn’t say much about your diagnosis unless you are looking for accommodations and even then I wouldn’t mention SZA or bipolar.

2 Likes

I’ve never had a good time when I disclosed my disability to an employer. I live in a place with virtually no protections though.

2 Likes

bad advice.

I’ve applied a hundred times for jobs,

and they want to know if you have a disability.

sometimes specific. they may get tax credits.

1 Like

I didn’t and still haven’t for that matter. A couple of my bosses knew, but never an employer. Now I don’t have anyone that knows, and quite frankly, its been hard on me. Still, I would never, unless in a particular circumstance, disclose my diagnosis to an employer at first. The only time I would, and this might happen sooner rather than later, when I’m going through a agency that caters to people with challenges to find a job and have accommodations. But going through the normal way, I wouldn’t, at least at first.

2 Likes

Well I asked for part time because it was an option when i applied so that’s all the accommodation i need. Maybe I will keep quiet unless they actually ask for further details.

1 Like

I didn’t tell my employer anything. It’s personal business. It’s like I’m not gonna ask the employer to disclose if they have schizophrenia.

2 Likes

I didn’t tell my employer. Your medical problems are between you and your doctor. Telling anyone else is up to you.

I would think the only reason to tell them is if you have special needs they need to know about for you to do your job.

1 Like

It’s mostly illegal for employers to ask for medical information here. You should see if it’s the same in the UK.

1 Like

It depends on who is hiring you.

1 Like

I wouldn’t reveal it

1 Like

For example, there is this really nice restaurant in my home town. The owner’s brother has sz. I think she would hire me…and she would understand my problems.

1 Like

They don’t have to know somebody who has sz. It depends if they hire people with mental illnesses. I know it is hard to find. You can get your therapist to go with you, or a job coach…to go with you, and they can explain it for you.

In UK, your diagnosis is classed as ‘sensitive personal data’.

I think you’re in the UK… so a company must have a valid reason before they can even ask you about your mental health. Furthermore, if they do ask you, you can refuse to answer (or lie if you want), and they cannot discriminate against you either way. If you do inform someone at work, they must not pass that information on to anyone who doesn’t need it (e.g. gossip is forbidden), they must store it securely, and inform you of the reasons for storage, and the purposes for which they will use the data.

These protections come from ‘GDPR’ in combination with ‘the human rights act’.

Personally speaking, I do describe some of my symptoms to my managers at work because I can claim to have a disability, which means if I am late to work I am somewhat protected from disciplinary action.

2 Likes

Thank you, and thanks all… I won’t mention it. I don’t need further reasonable adjustments as I asked for part-time anyway.

3 Likes