Do AP's dim the mind...?

I think they dim the mind big time

2 Likes

btw they are called major tranquilizers

1 Like

I’m on Latuda and I don’t feel sedation or that my mind is less active.

5 Likes

ok but all the meds are psycoactive that ‘‘numb’’ the brain kk?

I can feel part of my lobes shutting off but it’s just a feeling.

Yes they do. It is how they work.

2 Likes

I think it depends on the AP and the person taking them.
Without AP’s, my mind is racing at a mile a minute. Some AP’s I’ve took has dimmed me too much, but the ones I’m on slow down my mind just enough that I’m able to remain coherent without feeling like an idiot

1 Like

I’ve said this before I feel like my brain is somewhat suffacated :pensive:

Uh, what?..

4 Likes

Before Aps my mind was like a browser with tons of tabs open, a game playing, and music. With APs I was finally able to follow one train of thought.

I’ve noticed no dimming of my ability to pick up on things. I have cycles of forgetfulness though that’s the disease not the med.

Aps don’t sedate me. But I am more stupid on them

3 Likes

Did you feel sedated when you were on those very high dosages with your old psychiatrist? @Om_Sadasiva

1 Like

Only once, when I was on 16mg risperidone. I couldn’t speak, I couldn’t think. With all other meds on high doses, I was never sedated.

1 Like

Yes. Sometimes I stop taking it for a week because I feel like Im too constricted by it.

1 Like

Its the sz that dims the mind and not really the meds

2 Likes

Me too. Without meds my mind works overtime. Mood swings and agitation and voices etc. On meds I’m calmer and clearer headed. I take minimum dose so not too foggy but I think my negative symptoms and depression is more my sza than the meds.

2 Likes

Well to be fair, some of us are more unfortunate when it comes to loss of ability of intellect like myself. Stuff that used to be easy for me like going to university is now impossible. I cannot brush my teeth without a struggle. A simple task I used to do daily without thinking for the slightest second has me thinking and not doing it constantly. I might do it 1-2 a month if I’m lucky. That’s just 1 example. I just let things go by in my life including my messes and obligations and chores. Entropy, I guess.

I’ve had very little of the ‘I can’t coordinate my thoughts because there’s so much junk going through my brain’ feeling in recent months .

2 Likes

Depends which one.

Abilify/aripiprazole is a partial dopamine antagonist. This generally translates to medical people claiming that it improves and circulates dopamine to the frontal lobe whereas otherwise it wouldn’t reach there.

If this is true, then I am right to say: I feel this is also true.

My experience is that when I take it. I am more focussed on thought. or have better control over decisions.

It does however weaken discipline (this med in particular) because it feels like it makes you susceptible to actions (eg impulsiveness).

This above point can be bad to good depending on what you become addicted to and how you deal with it.

This is my current take.

Generally speaking. The longer term benefits of meds for psychosis is there I feel, and we need to embrace that as something that is hard to recognise during treatment (especially early treatment).

The more aggressively the brain breakdown is tackled- the faster the brain is forced to correct or adapt itself (for usually better?).

2 Likes

Uh, dunno…