Do antipsychotics damage dopamine receptors?

After being on them for a long time? When I stopped meds for 2yrs my negative symptoms were worse than before being put on meds. When I took a dopamine supplement Ldopa my negative symptoms improved more than when I was off meds but ended up getting irritability and hearing voices after a week on 420mg ldopa.

1 Like

Its scary if they really damage dopamine receptors as I will never be the same as before being on meds.

1 Like

Ldopa is the only thing other than Abilify that got me out of bed and hangout with my friends. I was also showering more and playing more video games, better concentration.

Im thinking about going back on it, I dont care about psychosis anymore honestly as long as I dont have negative symptoms.

From where did you get ldopa? Isn’t it used for Parkinsons and Alzheimer’s?

Have you tried modafinil?

From a supplement but I dont recommend doing what I am doing as it may worsen psychosis.

1 Like

Correction, it will likely worsen psychosis.

Your dopamine receptor permanently changed and they will never fixed again.so stay at your medicine man.good luck.and stay away from ldopa.its really dangerous

3 Likes

Who knows. It’s a good question. But hard to know…

1 Like

Yeah I wouldn’t mess with the stuff tbh.i was thinking about l dopa but no way would I touch the stuff I would probably be climbing up the walls.I would stay on the meds they are given for a reason.what about trying another drug. Their might be different drugs you can try

1 Like

Do you have any evidence to back that up? Any links or anything…I’d be interested to see some concrete proof of this. Would like to know one way or another.

1 Like

All I know is that stopping your antipsychotic abruptly or tapering off of it too quickly can cause psychosis.

I think that this may have happened to me 5 years ago when I tapered off of Risperdal in under 2weeks.

I’m not sure though.

2 Likes

I think that would point to dopamine receptors NOT being permanently damaged. Because if they were, I would think it would be harder to slip into psychosis. I have heard of course of dopamine hypersensitivity after quitting drugs abruptly.

2 Likes

What’s your opinion @Aziz ? Do you think they do or don’t damage them permanently?

1 Like

Antipsychotics are usually a lifelong treatment. I think your body gets so used to them that you can never go off if you’ve been on a high dose for a long time. I might be wrong though but I feel stuck

2 Likes

I dont know, its why I am asking. I dont want to stop meds again to find out and even then I wont be the same as before sz bcz of positive symptoms.

1 Like

No i don t but one doctor told me once in a time

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.